Topic Sponsor

1992 F150-4.9 Wont Crank, gauges won't work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1992 F150-4.9 Wont Crank, gauges won't work.

I've searched though the posts, and found similar problems, and have already done many things, still the same problem, won't crank, and the gauges don't work. It's such a simple Truck, 2 speed stick. I have never had any problems with it. Drove to work, all was fine, came out to leave, and I had this problem, had it towed home. So far, I have replaced the Battery, the Starter, the Solenoid, the Ignition Lock Cylinder. I have cleaned and checked all the wires from the Starter to Solenoid to the Battery. I have replaced the Clutch-Ignition cutout switch, HELP! I'm ready to pull out what little hair I have left. Any suggestions? Anyone have anything similar?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

So you turn on the key and none of the power turns on? If you replaced everything you said the only other thing left is the ignition switch inside the steering column.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM

Default should've been more specific

Sorry, wasn't quite specific enough, the lights work, the radio works, the blower works. When I turn the key to start position, nothing happens. I recently had exhaust work done, but haven't seen any wires melted or anything. I haven't checked the battery to ground cable yet, going to do that today, I'm also going to jump the pins on the clutch ignition cutoff switch, just in case there is a problem with that. When I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, it will crank. thanks for any suggestions you might have.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Default Found more

I've found an old alarm system, I'm in the process of removing it, and mating the wires with their originals, hopefully, the alarm had something to do with it...will post more as I dive deeper.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Ok so you can jump the fender relay and start the truck? And you said you already replaced it right? The little red/blue wire that goes to the relay is what give its power when you turn the key to start the truck, just like using the screwdriver.

What I would do is get a test light and attach it between that wire and the relay and turn the key. If the light does not come on, you have a problem somewhere up the circuit. If it does light up, we know you are getting power to the relay and might have a faulty part or connection somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
Freckldnred (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Default Fixed fixed fixed!!!!!!

Thanks for the help. It turns out it was the Car Alarm. I removed it wire by wire, re spliced the original wires, hooked everything back up, hopped in, and had all Dash lights, fuel pump was buzzing away, turned the Key to start, and it fired right up. I'm so happy I could scream, thanks again!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM

I have been having a similar problem except I went out this morning to start the truck and it tried to start then all of a sudden it went dead no power anywhere ????

1992 4.9 2wd 5 speed
Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by stevenmcpherson
I have been having a similar problem except I went out this morning to start the truck and it tried to start then all of a sudden it went dead no power anywhere ????

1992 4.9 2wd 5 speed
Check you're connections.

Quick Reply: 1992 F150-4.9 Wont Crank, gauges won't work.