Topic Sponsor

Rattle from behind dash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Rattle from behind dash?

ever since I got my truck it has made this little raddle noise right after I engage into fourth gear. And now it is making the noise every time the truck shakes or jolts, from a quick shift, or hitting a pothole, or driving on gravel. It sounds like it’s coming from behind the dash. I’d think I wouldn’t be able to hear it if it was coming from the engine bay. But I guess it’s possible. It soundls like it’s coming from closer to the top of the dash. And it sorta sounds like a small screw or something rattling around inside of something made of very thin metal. But I really just don’t know. I’m starting to suspect that it could be from something inside of the duct system for the heating and ac vents.
So basically what I’m asking is does anybody have any idea what steps I could take to diagnose this rattle. I know my description is kinda vague. So if you guys need more info I can try to give more specific details.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Put ALL the truck's details into your signature so you don't have to remember to list them all every time, and we don't have to ask or go looking for them:

(phone app link)

It's very common for coins, pens, & other small objects to fall into the defrost ducts. Getting them out can be complicated, but the quickest way is to flip the glovebox down, remove it, remove the heater core cover, and reach around the temperature blend door:

(phone app link)
Old 10-31-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

magnetic tip on an extension pen may collect that noisy thing, else start taking things apart...
Old 11-02-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

So apparently, it sounded like it was coming from the dash, but the rattling was actually one of the clips that the bolt on the catalytic converter's cover having fallen off, leaving a bolt shaking around.

Quick Reply: Rattle from behind dash?