Topic Sponsor

Painted black. How do I remove the overhead light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painted black. How do I remove the overhead light?

Hey all,

So I got really fed up with trying to get my engine situated, and decided to take a break from it and work on something else. The interior carpet was stained all to hell and the gray was too gray. So I grabbed two cans of SEM vinyl paint, a can of their "adhesion promotor," and three cans of Duplicolor vinyl/fabric paint. Honestly, I didn't notice a difference between using the adhesion promotor and not, I cleaned everything with a soapy wet sponge and then a wet cloth before applying either.

Honestly, this was easier DONE than SAID. If you're planning on doing it and you've got a spare eightyish bucks, do it. I started at 2:30pm and finished at around 7. Then today after work I did some minor touch ups, and grabbed an additional can for the carpet.

I took the door panels off because I had to put a new regulator in my window, removed all the interior trim up front, left the back trim and the dash in. Fit some cardboard across all my windows, blue taped all the gaps, and blue taped everything I didn't want painted obviously. Think seatbelt metal, AC *****, cupholders, etc.

So the products, the SEM had a better spray / coating for the vinyl and trim pieces, and the duplicolor had a better sweeping spray for the carpet with a more comfortable nozzle, headliner, and seats. It did sort of make things crunchy as far as fabric goes, but after getting in and out of the seat a few times to run errands it softened up. I might just get seat covers if you guys know any good (reasonably priced) ones.

Anyway, here are my results.

My one question is, when the night got later, my overhead interior light wasn't working. I pulled on it a little bit, then decided I should just let it be before I broke something and ruined my new interior. How do I replace this / the lights?
Attached Thumbnails Painted black. How do I remove the overhead light?-wp_20151013_14_32_29_pro.jpg   Painted black. How do I remove the overhead light?-wp_20151014_16_45_29_pro.jpg   Painted black. How do I remove the overhead light?-wp_20151014_17_25_19_pro.jpg   Painted black. How do I remove the overhead light?-wp_20151014_17_52_34_pro.jpg  
Old 10-14-2015, 06:31 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Never heard of fabric paint... Interesting... The overhead light, unless I'm mistaken, should just pull down. There's typically little clips on the back side. That's how the 04-08's are, 09-14's, my mom's 01 expedition, and even my brother's 08 ram.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:36 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

The plastic cover, squeeze it from the front and back at the same time and it'll pop off, note: it may break, that little light bulb puts out more heat than it does light, replace the standard bulb with an LED and consider ordering a replacement cover. It's hard to find a clear one so if you come across one you may want to ****** it up, otherwise it's just the OE opaque.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwestmartin
Hey all,

So I got really fed up with trying to get my engine situated... I might just get seat covers if you guys know any good (reasonably priced) ones.
Neat project and using the fabric/vinyl paint on the carpet and interior is a great idea that many people would never think of!
For seat covers check http://www.truckleather.com/ they are reasonably priced and look great.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the door panels sticky due to painting them? Thats the only reason i wouldnt want to do this to mine.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Oooo a Custom Title.

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Casey Kyle Davison
Are the door panels sticky due to painting them? Thats the only reason i wouldnt want to do this to mine.
When I painted mine, the armrest pad was sticky but the rest was not. It's about using the right paint for the right material and I think that pad is vinyl and I was using plastic paint.

Quick Reply: Painted black. How do I remove the overhead light?