Topic Sponsor

89 Bronco Bucket Seats in a 89 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Bronco Bucket Seats in a 89 F-150

Hey everyone.
I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with seat swapping bricknose's.
I have a 89 F-150 SC with a bench seat in the front, and I am buying buckets from a 89 bronco with the center console in the middle (I believe they're called Captain's chairs.)
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with this, as i am not sure if it'll be a bolt-in situation or not. I will also be buying the mounting rails from the bronco and the seats are non-power.
I look forward to hopefully getting this done painlessly and quickly.
I attached a picture of the bronco's seats as well as my bench seat currently in my truck

Bronco bucket seats I intend to install in my F-150 SC

My stock F-150 bench seat I want to replace

- Bryce
Old 03-21-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Your standard cab looks more like an extended cab to me, in which case the seats should bolt in. If it was really was a standard cab, you would need to drill holes or fabricate brackets.
The following users liked this post:
Bryce Reigle (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Your standard cab looks more like an extended cab to me, in which case the seats should bolt in. If it was really was a standard cab, you would need to drill holes or fabricate brackets.
My bad, i mistakenly wrote SC thinking that meant Supercab.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

All F-series/Bronco chairs of the same year (actually 2 ranges) will interchange without fabrication. Power seats were never offered in this body style - only pneumatic lumbar in '94-96 ('97 heavy). So if you ALSO get the Bronco seat belt buckles, it'll be a total bolt-in. If you don't get the buckles, you'll have trouble reaching the limp originals behind the console. You don't need the Bronco shoulder belts - they won't work in an F.
Bryce Reigle (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
All F-series/Bronco chairs of the same year (actually 2 ranges) will interchange without fabrication. Power seats were never offered in this body style - only pneumatic lumbar in '94-96 ('97 heavy). So if you ALSO get the Bronco seat belt buckles, it'll be a total bolt-in. If you don't get the buckles, you'll have trouble reaching the limp originals behind the console. You don't need the Bronco shoulder belts - they won't work in an F.
I am going to get the buckles as well. Thank you. And I was just informed it's actually a 1988 Bronco, but if i'm understanding you right it still should be bolt-in with my 1989?
Old 03-22-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
Originally Posted by Bryce Reigle
I am going to get the buckles as well. Thank you. And I was just informed it's actually a 1988 Bronco, but if i'm understanding you right it still should be bolt-in with my 1989?
Yep 87-91 are the same body styles, but technically 80-96 will share floor and bolt patterns within the cab itself. Should drop right in.

Steve83 is technically correct - all seats are interchangeable. But extended cabs/broncos have a different floor pan than standard cabs and crew cabs. So if you wanted to take bucket seats and a console from an extended cab and put them into a standard cab or crew cab, you would need the correct floor pan adapter. This does not affect your situation at all - just putting it here for someone else who searches.
Bryce Reigle (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 11:39 AM

The floor pan changed somewhere around that time, so you'll just have to check. The floor change was NOT the same year as the body change. This TSB has more detail:

(phone app link)

The mounting points for the chairs & floor console are NOT dependent on cab shape - all F-series/Bronco front seats & floor consoles attach exactly the same way in all cab shapes of the same year (and range). I used '83 X-cab captains chairs & floor console in my Bronco for many years - they bolted right in.
Bryce Reigle (03-22-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 06:02 PM

So i just got the seats and I am slightly confused. Do i bolt the new seats on to the mounts for the bench seat, because the holes do not seem to line up for the passenger seat. Thanks
Old 03-25-2018, 11:36 AM

This might be easier if you posted pics of what you're seeing.
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/th...-and-or-videos

No, the bench mounts won't fit or work with the captain's chairs, which bolt to different holes in the floor. Pull out the 8 rubber plugs, and move 4 of them to the bench holes.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

If you use the correct bolts, they'll self-thread the blocks in the floor when you install them the first time, like this:

(phone app link)
Old 11-19-2018, 09:57 PM

Going to bump this from the dead. Reading this thread in its entirety, I surmise that my 90 F150 Standard cab can run buckets with the center console from a similar year Bronco, as the holes are already in the cab, just plugged up? Thanks in advance. New to Fords, been doing the VW thing for quite awhile

Quick Reply: 89 Bronco Bucket Seats in a 89 F-150