Topic Sponsor

4spd to 5spd swap. 89 f150. Which trans

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4spd to 5spd swap. 89 f150. Which trans

I found a shop that will do the conversion for me but they want me to bring the transmission with the truck. What transmission is the best option. Truck is 2wd and has a 5.0 I keep seeing things that gear or band driven speed sensors and with or without pto covers. I have no idea what the best option is.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Brader18
I found a shop that will do the conversion for me but they want me to bring the transmission with the truck. What transmission is the best option. Truck is 2wd and has a 5.0 I keep seeing things that gear or band driven speed sensors and with or without pto covers. I have no idea what the best option is.
There are only two options for 5 speeds, both manual transmissions - the M5OD found in the F150, or the ZF5 found in F250/F350 of this era. The M5OD is a light duty tranny that is much more comfortable to drive (often found behind the 302 and 300 in the F150), the ZF5 is a heavy duty tranny with a granny gear designed to haul/tow. If you google around you will find lots of info on both. If you choose the ZF5 (I wouldn't, but if you do), make sure to get one with a small block ford bolt pattern - there are diesel and big block variants.

There's more to it than just swapping in a tranny - driveshaft, crossmember, and wiring all has to be taken into consideration. If you current truck is an automatic, you'll need to include pedal assembly and hydraulics, steering column, and tunnel cover to the list, along with computer and wiring. Possibly some other things I can't think of off of the top of my head.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by Brader18
I have no idea what the best option is.
What exactly is wrong with the current transmission? Generally, the best option is always maintenance - not redesigning or modifying.

There is no absolute "best". If there's a "best" for your particular situation, only you can know what that is - we don't know you, or your situation. If you can explain why you think you need a 5sp, we might be able to offer some advise.

Quick Reply: 4spd to 5spd swap. 89 f150. Which trans