Topic Sponsor

undercoating help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 10:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default undercoating help

I live in ohio where salt is bad. The undercarriage is already pretty bad with rust as it is a 91 and never had an undercoat. I was thinking of lifting the truck up and sanding / wire brushing the rust off over the weekend. Im just wondering how the process works? is it get rid of rust->
use rust converter primer-> then use something like fluid film? does a rust inhibitor get put into there? I don't want to use the rubberized undercoating because iv heard horror stories of it making rust accelerate.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:18 PM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Anything that traps water against the metal will accelerate corrosion. The key is to make a continuous unbroken layer, beginning at the TOP (which is the trick) so that water doesn't flow in at the top & collect as it runs down inside. Once the frame is rusty, it's not likely that you'll ever stop it, unless you strip the entire frame (which I've done a few times, but only to frames withOUT much rust). This is the Bronco I drive now:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

This is a '75 Bronco I built for a friend that we Herculined (which I don't recommend):

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

This is a '93 Bronco I'm building now on a '96 frame:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

If you still want to try it, I recommend you begin with a home pressure washer, a set (or 2) of truck ramps, and SEVERAL cycles of soap, pressure-wash, rinse, let it dry, inspect with a flashlight, & repeat the next day you feel like getting filthy.

(phone app link)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just want to slow the process of rust down not stop it. Is there anything that can be done without pulling the frame off. All I have Is a lift and tools
Old 01-05-2020, 02:19 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Trying to halfass it will likely cause it to rust worse, for the reasons I said above. If you have a lift, it should be easy to lift the body off the frame. In any case, you'll have to start with the pressure washer, so try that & post pics of what it looks like after a few cycles.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spray over everything. once you cut off the oxygen, the rust will not continue. just like a fire, cut off the air and it will self extinguish.

Quick Reply: undercoating help