Topic Sponsor

Bed Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bed Fix

This is hopefully the last post about my bed. I am thinking about fixing my rusted out bed. the outer wheel well patches are easy to find as well are the floor pieces. I am having trouble finding the inner part of the wheel wells like you see when you are standing in the bed. I could not find mounts either. will angle iron or square tubing work to make custom mounts? Is this a viable solution to my problem or should i just continue to look for a different box? If you could send links as to where i could find those parts that would be awesome!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not sure which part your talking about lmc and npd should carry everything needed to rebuild a bed. but i have always thought it cheaper to find a replacement. mine for example was only 100. i found it on craigslist. out of curiosity where are you located.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 4wheeldevil
not sure which part your talking about lmc and npd should carry everything needed to rebuild a bed. but i have always thought it cheaper to find a replacement. mine for example was only 100. i found it on craigslist. out of curiosity where are you located.

Lets say you are standing in the bed of your truck facing the tailgate. the wheel arches above where the wheel wells. that is the part I am looking for. I wish I had my truck here to take pictures. I have looked in to finding a replacement, but I have found that finding a bed around where I live is extremely hard to do, because I need a long box for a 1991 with dual tanks. Everything I found is either rusted out just as bad if not worse than mine, has been hit, or is ridiculously expensive. (Given my age of almost 16, my budget is very limited). I am located about 30 miles north-northeast of Omaha Nebraska. I am in a Small town in Iowa. It is also about 20 miles north-northeast from Council Bluffs Iowa.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 AM

THIS PHOTO IS FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES ONLY. THIS IS NOT MY TRUCK AND I DO NOT CLAIM ANY RIGHTS TO THE TRUCK OR THE PHOTO.

The part I am struggling to find is the wheel arches in the inside of the bed like the ones you see in this picture on both sides of the tire in the bed. I need both sides.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

If your bed is rusted that bad you might consider converting it to a flat bed. you seem to be in the heart of farm country and have access to metal working equipment or I have seen some nice work made mostly of wood.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:23 AM

I have thought about converting it to a flatbed, as they are usually easier to find and about the price as a bed that i am going to have major rust again in a year after spending the time to paint it and such. I am kind of torn between a few decisions, buy a used bed which is expensive, will take a ton of work to be correct. I could buy a flatbed which is the easiest solution, or lastly i could fix mine, which is expensive and will take a bunch of work. I am just not sold on flatbeds quite yet.... I usually don't care for flatbeds unless you absolutely need it for a job.

Quick Reply: Bed Fix