Topic Sponsor

1995 Spare Tire Holder Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Spare Tire Holder Questions

Bought a 1995 F150 A/T 4x4 single tank in rear recently and the spare tire has worked lose and the spare tire was knocking. I went to tighten the eyelet bolt but it won't tighten or loosen, don't know how it worked loose. I can feel but can't see what that eyelet bot screws into but it turns up top when I turn. If I can't get tightened or loose I am going to cut off saw zaw. I can find replacement eyelet bolt online but not nut or what it screws into.

For the time being I have it ratchet strapped up tight. I would like to be able to fix without cutting, the eyelet bolt itself is $26.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-10-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

It's called a "U-nut", and it's a big one.

(phone app link)

They commonly rust or break, allowing them to spin with their bolts, which sounds like what you're describing. Soak it with penetrating oil for a day or 3, and then use vise-grips to hold the U-nut from turning.

BTW
The name is "SawzAll".

Old 05-22-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted this reply into the incorrect thread earlier today.

I have a '93 and being in the NE did wonders on that part. I couldn't get the clip off, so I just cut the J-Bolt and everything off. The threads were trashed. I found a pristine J-Bolt on eBay and I think I ordered the clip from Ford. Total cost was ~$40 total.
The J-Nut was $28 and the U-Bolt was $12.

I just found the U-Bolt at Tasca Parts today. The OEM part number is N805270-S56.

Quick Reply: 1995 Spare Tire Holder Questions