Topic Sponsor

Trasmission shudder

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trasmission shudder

Hello, I have a 1996 F-150 4x4 302 automatic OD. She has a shudder in the transmission. The only way I can describe it is as a short few seconds like driving on asphalt that someone has driven a bulldozer on. It seems to be from 2nd to drive, as shutting the overdrive off has no effect, and running in 2nd eliminates it. Driving to and from work, with no detours or side trips, it will start acting up in the exact same area every time, so I would guess that temperature might play a part. The fluid is not burnt, although knowing the previous owner, my father a mechanic of 50 years if he had lived another 2 months, the fluid was probably never changed in 250000 kms. The only thing he ever changed on his own vehicles were brakes, tires, and motor oil. The longer I run this truck, the more evidence I find to support the old saying about never buying a mechanics vehicle. Any thoughts on the tranny, or should I just do a filter, and fluid change.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been having the same problem for about a month. 95 f150 302 with 220k miles on it from research I've done and all the mechanics I've spoken with it sounds like the torque converter.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM

The worst part is that I hate guessing. I have been told about the converter being a probable cause. But I hate to replace it, and have it not be the problem. I can rebuild a manual tranny with my eyes closed, but I don't have a clue when it comes to an automatic. I actually read an in depth article about making a swap for a manual transmission, but I really hate to get into some thing like that considering that my garage has no roof or walls, just a dirt floor.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM

not trying to be nosey but I had the same problem with my 1991 f150 shuddering found out it was the universal joints just a thought
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

any check engine lights? is the OD light flashing? it sounds like your converter is slipping, my 96 did the same thing and it needed rebuilt.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM

No lights, and my u joints are all good. The truck has been parked for the winter, so I think once the snow is gone, and it dries up a bit, I will drop the pan, and change the filter. If there are no chunks, or sparkles in the pan, I will look into a new converter.

Quick Reply: Trasmission shudder