Topic Sponsor

transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems

i have a 1995 f150 with a aode transmission. when ever i start my truck up COLD it doesn't want to shift in to 1-2 after about it gets a little better after a few miles down the road. please help i cant find any thing

Last edited by Bryan Melville; 09-08-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 94 F150 and experienced similar issues. Here is what I did to improve the shifting. Still not perfect but 95% BETTER!

This has been a process of learning my truck and works for me. You might want to try different things to figure what works best for your truck

Step 1: added Transmission Fluid Additive (lucas brand) to improve seals and shifting.

Step 2: cleaned Transmission fluid filter (it was REALLY GUNKED UP).

Step 3: i have learned that when you start it up - push the gas pedal to the floor once and then crank it up and let it idle on its own. Don't depress the gas pedal again after starting. It is designed to idle high (about 1500-1700 rpms) for 3-5 min.s and then it will IDLE DOWN ON ITS OWN to around 1000 RPMS or even slower.

Note - once it idles down on its own then you can drive it!

Step 4: push the OVERDRIVE button on the end of the Shift Lever to turn AUTO OD OFF (light should lite up on stick shift lever). Later on you can shift Auto OD back on when you get up to speed past 50 and you need it. When driving around town at city speed I keep OD OFF.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds like a low pressure problem.
When's the last time you had your fluid and filter changed ?
Fluid gets a lot thicker when it's cold and would have more trouble getting through a dirty filter.
A new filter and fresh fluid might really help there.

Quick Reply: transmission problems