Topic Sponsor

Transfer Case Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 11:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transfer Case Help

Hi,

Looking for some help with a transfer case. I changed the oil for the first time since I got the truck (like 7 years ago). I completely forgot about it... as I never use 4WD.

Anyway, there is something loose inside the transfer case near the drain plug. It looks like a ~5cm metal rod that has twisted around. I tried to pull it out, but its too big and too bent to fit through the hole.

I can see the chain through the filler plug... it's still on. I am kind of afraid to put it in 4WD now just incase it may jam.

What's the go? Should I pull it and rebuild it myself? Or leave it be? I am now paranoid that the thing will explode. Anyone can give a hint as to what a long rod may be?

It's one of these:

Cheers,
Dan
Old 07-01-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I don't remember any rod that could twist or bend, but the most-common failure in the BW1356 t-case is the fluid pump stay arm wearing through the case rib (which is a Magnesium alloy, so don't try to weld it). It's relatively easy to split the case & look inside, but IDK what you'll do once you have it open if you can't find a replacement t-case locally, or if parts take weeks to arrive. Study this & the links in its caption:

(phone app link)
The following users liked this post:
danielruss88 (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 12:20 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I have had a look at some rebuild videos, and it seems to me that the part that I found is most likely a piece of that pump triangle that has been chewed up OR a screwdriver that someone left in there and got twisted. I didn't find any other metal in there or any flakes.

There isn't any noises from the transfer case (yet). I don't really know how long it's been in this condition. The previous owner did mention something about the transfer case being new because the old one broken when I got the truck many years ago, and there may be something to that. It actually did look new and shiny when I brought truck.

Parts for the case are a bit hard to come by here, so I will have to order a new pump kit from US and see how it goes. New cases are available here, but they are quite expensive. I hope I can get by with replacing the pump.

For now, all I can do I guess is fill the thing to the brim on an incline and drive it.

Also, is it viable to split the case for inspection while its on the truck? It looks do-able, but there is a spring in there for the shift forks that looks hard to position if everything is on the side.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:02 AM

Here are the pictures:

It's definitely that pump triangle. And the pick up tube is lying on the bottom.... I assume it should be angled upward toward the pump.
I over-filled the case while the truck was parked on a decline just to be safe. Going to order a new pump rebuild kit and see how it goes. Is there anything else that needs to be replaced? There was quite a lot of oil in there... I assume splash lubrication is enough for these and if it wanted to grenade, it would have done it by now.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 AM

No, splash lube isn't enough - that's why they were built with pumps. The older NP208 was splash-lubed. I wouldn't drive the truck until it's fixed, and I wouldn't waste the time & hassle of trying to split the case while it's under the truck. It's a relatively light t-case, so it's easy to remove without a lift or jack.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
No, splash lube isn't enough - that's why they were built with pumps. The older NP208 was splash-lubed. I wouldn't drive the truck until it's fixed, and I wouldn't waste the time & hassle of trying to split the case while it's under the truck. It's a relatively light t-case, so it's easy to remove without a lift or jack.
I will try to pull it this weekend and see if I can jerry-rig something before the parts get here.

Pretty poor engineering if you ask me.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:41 PM

It's the same t-case that was used in F450 PowerStroke turbo diesels. The lack of padding between the stay arm & case rib is really its only flaw.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 PM

Question: How do you disconnect the shift linkage without breaking it? I don't see any bolts to get at.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:59 PM

A prybar between the link bar & the t-case lever always works for me. Just be gentle; some heat & a little penetrating oil on the nylon bushing will let it pop off the nipple easier.

But there are at least 3 possible t-case shifters: the common one used with most transmissions, a rare 2-sided shifter used with the SROD, and the rare sliding shifter:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Since I don't see any transmission info in your signature, IDK which shifter yours has.

Last edited by Steve83; 07-08-2018 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
danielruss88 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:58 AM

Cheers. Above is what I have. I assume I have to pry between the metal piece that is part of the transfer case, and the shift linkage?
The parts from US arrived, so I should be disassembling everything tomorrow. Hopefully I can get this done in 5 hours.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Help