Topic Sponsor

Timing cover/Water Pump Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing cover/Water Pump Bolts

Do the studs that have a nut welded in the middle of them and then more stud on the outside of the water pump really need to be studied again out there because i can’t recall after breaking three bolts what they were even holding
Old 03-28-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Haha good question - I am doing a water pump soon myself and was wondering the same thing as I was looking at all of those studs. The only one I can remember you "needing" is the one that the power steering/AC bracket uses for alignment - otherwise the rest seem unnecessary. But at the same time, there must be a reason? Perhaps someone else can chime in.

From what I understand about studs, the main reason for using them is to eliminate twisting forces when torquing them down...but since these water pump studs already have the nuts welded to them, that sort of eliminates that reason as a possibility for using them. The other obvious reason is for mounting another bracket or something similar.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Haha good question - I am doing a water pump soon myself and was wondering the same thing as I was looking at all of those studs. The only one I can remember you "needing" is the one that the power steering/AC bracket uses for alignment - otherwise the rest seem unnecessary. But at the same time, there must be a reason? Perhaps someone else can chime in.

From what I understand about studs, the main reason for using them is to eliminate twisting forces when torquing them down...but since these water pump studs already have the nuts welded to them, that sort of eliminates that reason as a possibility for using them. The other obvious reason is for mounting another bracket or something similar.
Good luck, be careful and soak everththing with penetrating oil! . what year truck do you have, also tat stud that aligns the power steering and the ac compressor on my truck wasn’t really doing much, there was no weight on it, so it’s really just for aligning? kind of comment and question sorry.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Mine is a 94. That stud isn't bearing any type of load. On the 351w the accessory brackets are spaced just slightly farther out because of the deck height of the block, and the ps/ac bracket doesn't even sit on that stud. So I don't think it is really needed.

Are you going all the way and pulling the cover and replacing the timing chain? That's my plan. Pretty sure I have a slow timing cover coolant leak. 205k miles and its never been changed, as far as I know. Original water pump too.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Mine is a 94. That stud isn't bearing any type of load. On the 351w the accessory brackets are spaced just slightly farther out because of the deck height of the block, and the ps/ac bracket doesn't even sit on that stud. So I don't think it is really needed.

Are you going all the way and pulling the cover and replacing the timing chain? That's my plan. Pretty sure I have a slow timing cover coolant leak. 205k miles and its never been changed, as far as I know. Original water pump too.
So sounds like i don’t need studs because yours aren’t doing anything and i do have the 5.8 and i am swapping the cover pump and timing chain and gears, for the double roller cloyes, i don’t think that the accessory alignment stud was bearing any weight on mine either it has three big bolts in it so it can’t really move anywhere my truck has 138,000 on it i’m hoping it will run a little smoother once i do the chain, it ran pretty strong before, a little rough but not bad at all i would h e lived with that but i decided to change the water pump cause i’ve been having a heating problem ever since i flushed the cooling system so i’m going through an changing the radiator fan clutch water pump and upper and lower hose
Old 04-03-2018, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just pulled my water pump on my 94 today180miles, I managed to get all the bolts out except for 1 (left side with the stud), broke on me, welded nuts on it 3x, and stud keep breaking. now its almost flush with the timing cover. Gave up and will get back at it tomorrow, what a poor design. upside is I will be able to now inspect my chain, and have a good seal on the cover now. Good point on the studs, I don't think they do F all.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by kitsrider
I just pulled my water pump on my 94 today180miles, I managed to get all the bolts out except for 1 (left side with the stud), broke on me, welded nuts on it 3x, and stud keep breaking. now its almost flush with the timing cover. Gave up and will get back at it tomorrow, what a poor design. upside is I will be able to now inspect my chain, and have a good seal on the cover now. Good point on the studs, I don't think they do F all.
The last one i got out was the left stud near the water passage, i barely got it out once the cover was off, good luck, use heat and penetrating oil, that worked for me and just take your time
Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Not on EFIs (serpentine FEAD) - only the UNthreaded one is used as an alignment dowel for the PS pump bracket.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

They were used on some carb (V-belt) engines.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Not on EFIs (serpentine FEAD) - only the UNthreaded one is used as an alignment dowel for the PS pump bracket.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

They were used on some carb (V-belt) engines.
Aweskme good to know, and btw the guide stud wasn’t bearing any weight on my stud, so i don’t really think it’s necessary
Old 04-04-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I managed to weld one last nut to what was remaining of the broken stud, I guess this is my last chance at it. I also drilled 3 small holes into the bolt yesterday so I can get some lube in there. I am going to soak it for the next couple of days, heat it up and give it one last go. Wish me luck!!!!!

Quick Reply: Timing cover/Water Pump Bolts