Topic Sponsor

rebuilt motor will not turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rebuilt motor will not turn

Working on a 1993 F150 5.0L motor with E4OD transmission. Purchased a few months ago as an in-process engine rebuild project. Motor was out and front of trans was held in place with a light strap. Today finally got to installing motor. Connecting motor to torque converter was a struggle getting everything aligned but was able to pull motor and trans together with bolts. Now I can no longer rotate the crank with a big 1/2" ratchet or breaker.Before Christmas I did drain the transmission and converter to change fluid. The old fluid was somewhat dark but still mostly read. I can't remember if the trans would rotate manually but the truck could be pushed or towed.Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I need to look for or try would be most appreciated.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

perhaps jammed the trans, without properly aligning it, or not installing the torque converter properly. The motor should still turn freely, even with the trans, installed properly, in place.

Pulling things together and converter struggle -worries me some, but is tough to know, via the internet. Both of these should be straight forward installs not what you describe.

Were it me, I would remove the trans bolts or back them way off and make sure the engine turns, the trans flex plate/flywheel turns with it, and is clearing all the converter space stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Gale Hawkins (02-17-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks kd3pc.

Backed off converter housing to block bolts and can again spin the motor manually. I plan on pulling the motor further so that I can ensure the torque converter is fully seated. I've read the factory manual but would appreciate input on the best method to install the motor. Curious as to if I need to drop the transmission, exhaust manifolds, engine mounts or other steps to align the motor and trans.

Quick Reply: rebuilt motor will not turn