Topic Sponsor

Rear Differential Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Differential Fluid Change

I have a 1992 F-150 Super Cab (120,000 miles), 4.9 Inline 6, 5-speed Standard.

I want to change the fluid in the rear differential. I need to know the steps to perform this, the correct type and amount of gear lube to use.

Advise Please?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Refer to your manual on the type and weight. Make sure the fill hole plug can be removed first. Then get the correct gasket and lube from the store. Remove the bolts from the rear cover. I always leave the stop bolt in but loose so the cover doesn't drop. Removed the cover and allow it to drain. Inspect the rear end. While the rear is on jack stands move one of the wheels back and fourth to see how much play is in the spider gears. Clean everything especially the cover and mounting area of the housing. Put the gasket in place and tighten the bolt to spec is a crossing manner. Fill housing to spec level and replace plug. Make sure your truck is level and the house inf full. I usually will drive down the road for a little while to make sure i don't start to hear the rear end whining or any other issues. Also make sure you check to see if you have a limited slip. If you have a limited slip you might have to add limited slip additive. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Fluid Change