Topic Sponsor

Not getting fuel to engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not getting fuel to engine

I got a 1996 5.0 F-150 and as far as I can tell I'm not getting fuel to engine a squirt of starting fluid is the only thing that gets it going but soon after it dies it's an old truck of mine that I want back cause I had to get rid of newer one my dad had let it sit for almost 2 years when he stopped driving it everything was running just fine one thing I did notice different is when I turn the key before I turned to start position I used to hear a little hum that I don't hear any more and the other weird thing is we filled both tanks with 5 gallons of fresh gas and now rear tank is empty and front is full if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it
Old 06-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Maybe to many trucks?

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like probably the fuel pumps went. They usually do when the truck sits for a long time.
Going to have to either pull the bed or drop the tanks and replace the pump. In my opinion you mine as well replace the fuel pump and sending unit as a whole.
Trav
The following users liked this post:
Paul Brixey (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks everything I looked at pointed to fuel pumps but I found it hard to believe both would go out at same time but if sitting can ruin them that is where I'll start
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Maybe to many trucks?

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Ya I had both my fuel pumps in my dad's 89 F250 and my 88 F150 go bad from sitting for a long time. That is the only thing I hate about trucks that sit for a while.

Also I would seafoam the truck once you get it running you have no idea how well that stuff helps the truck out plus it will break down crud in your fuel lines from sitting.
Trav

Quick Reply: Not getting fuel to engine