Topic Sponsor

Lost power in a 92 150

Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost power in a 92 150

Hi all,

The other day I was driving back from deer hunting and I lost power going up a hill in my 1992 f150 with the 5.0. At first I thought the tranny finally dumped on me (its had the classic ford tranny problems since I bought it) but if I let off and went back on the accelerator it would jump me back up after going down to about forty. After that it would not keep freeway speed and eventually none at all. When I pulled over to the shoulder the engine died as soon as I came fully stopped.

At first it felt a little like when my alternator quit on me two months ago while driving. I replaced that though.

I tried driving it away after it cooled down so I could check all of the fluids. which were normal, but I couldn't get it to go ten feet. I had it towed home.

The kicker is that after I got it towed back home, it fired up and drove away the next morning like it hadn't stranded me for four hours at all! I have wondered if it was the fuel filter, but somebody told me once that if I try to take it off with out the special ford tool I will just break everything.

I don't know what is wrong, and as a college student I can't afford to just start replaceing everything and hoping that works. I also am only decent with engines anyway, so I don't know where to start. Please help me or point me in the right direction!
Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 12:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It sounds like overheating. My truck did that not too long ago. Turns out my gauge didn't work, my water pump started peeing the next day and I had a stuck thermostat.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like clogged cats to me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost power in a 92 150