Topic Sponsor

Help on replacing Clutch master and slave cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 03:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help on replacing Clutch master and slave cylinders?

I'm a bit confused on whether or not I was sent the proper kit for my 5 speed manual: https://www.carid.com/1993-ford-f-15...196305076.html

I received the second one pictured. It's a release bearing with the master cylinder. I can't find a good guide on doing this. I've got the manual but it's a little hard to read.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:18 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

You say you got the second one. The second(last) one in the upper left corner would be for an internal slave cylinder, which you have. The first one or the one that comes up when you first click on the link is for an external slave cylinder, which would be wrong.

I'm not sure of the quality of the Perfection brand. Others may comment. You want to use the best slave cylinder possible do to the fact you have to remove and replace the transmission to replace it.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:22 PM

I'm doing the master and slave cylinders because I'm changing the clutch and flywheel.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:28 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

no reason to do the master unless you know its bad. put the money on the something else the truck actually needs
Old 09-16-2020, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by justintendo
no reason to do the master unless you know its bad. put the money on the something else the truck actually needs
A little too late. I've already got the master and slave kit in my room, waiting to get put in. Could you take a look at my other post regarding high revs and fuel smell. No one seems to be interested in my fuel injection problems.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

There's nothing wrong with replacing the master cylinder while you're doing the rest of it. You didn't mention it but you should also replace the pressure plate/clutch cover..the pilot bearing..and the rear oil seal on the engine while the xmission is down. The rear main seal leaking is a common issue with many makes and models of rear wheel drive vehicles..not just Ford. I dont have enough experience with front wheel drive to have an opinion. Even if the master cylinder can be replaced w/o dropping the xmission..its the only one of the clutch related components that has ever left me sittin on the side of the road..or in some parking lot that I was lucky enough to get to. More than once. I tend to notice a leak under my vehicle..really w/o making an effort to look. That master cylinder usually leaks inside the vehicle. The fluid might run down behind the carpet or floor mat w/o notice until its too late. If an old master cylinder gets dry just one time..the seals might give out right then. If youre in gear when this happens..possibly in traffic..even an experienced driver has to think fast. Its a good way to cause an accident or to tear a xmission out. In my opinion..replacing that master cylinder..which I never do until Im replacing the clutch or until its too late..it wouldnt hurt if you replaced it with a quality part every 100k mi. I can drive one with the clutch plate down to the rivets..so bad that I cant use high gear anymore..but when that master cylinder goes..its pretty much over. Adding fluid wont help. As far as Perfection Clutch Parts..I live in SC where Perfection is based and Ive called or emailed them several times for different clutch issues..theyre an established company with plenty of knowledge. I use Sachs clutches and pressure plates but the flywheel and other clutch components..Perfection is as good as any other low/mid range part. Just depends on how much time and $$ you have when the part is needed. If one of those parts lasts 2 or 3 months..it'll probably last for many years. I've heard some bad stories about all lower end clutch parts..but never had a Perfection part fail on account of quality. This is all just my opinion..formed from 35yr of experience.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:12 AM

Hey, thanks for the push bud. I'll try getting the clutch done sometime this week after I finish with school work. Can you look at my other post, about high revs when upshifting and a fuel smell, and offer some input. No one seems to care for my fuel injection problems.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem. I try not to tell anyone what to do..I just tell them what I would do to my own stuff. I'll check out your fuel issue this evenin. I might not know anything about it. If no1 else has any ideas..Im not so sure I will.

Quick Reply: Help on replacing Clutch master and slave cylinders?