Topic Sponsor

first & third gear. AAAAARRRRGH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first & third gear. AAAAARRRRGH!!!

Last month I went to leave & no clutch.I checked the hydro clutch fluid & it was near empty.So I filled it up & had a buddy help bleed it. Bam up and runnin.Two weeks go by, same thing no clutch.I Had to replace the Master slave cylinder for the clutch.Ford decided to put it inside the tranny of my 95'. So while we had the tranny out I replaced the clutch as well. Now its hard to get into First & third gear. Sometimes after I do Get it in gear it'll pop out as I'm letting off the clutch. Anyone have this problem?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Sounds like its still not bled properly. You are grinding into gear cause you aren't disengaging the clutch all the way. That or you probably have work shift forks and shifter bushings too which would have been a good thing to do while you had the transmission out. It wasn't a problem before with a worn clutch.

Last edited by sylver91; 03-06-2013 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
5.0halfton (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Thanks I'll bleed that puppy again today.I didnt have this problem before. the clutch wasnt worn to bad.It had alot of fluid on it from the bad cylinder.Can the forks be replaced without taking the tranny back out.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0halfton
Can the forks be replaced without taking the tranny back out.
Yes, the whole top cover comes out the top, inclusive of the shifter forks assembly. Be sure to put it in neutral before you start.
The following users liked this post:
5.0halfton (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM

Oh good, I hope it just needs to be bled better.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Yeah removing the bench seat and pulling the carpet back is the best way without taking it all out again. Take off the transmission tunnel cover and you have total access to the top of the transmission.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 AM

I bled the clutch again & it still was hard to get into 1st and 3rd so I went down to a salvage yard & pulled this off A 92' f150 4x4. It shifted easy & looked good enough to take a chance for only 15 bucks..
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM

I know I'm new here, but are you bleeding the air out by pumping the clutch, or using a pump from the slave cylinder up through the master cylinder. I know a lot of guys that try to bleed it like you would bleed brakes, but you never really get all the air out that way.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM

Hello,
New here. My first post. I had that problem with my 94 extra cab. It has the 4.9 six and a manual 5 speed made by Mazda. Driving along and the 3rd or 5th gear would pop out. Very frustrating! Had the transmission rebuilt twice but did not solve the problem. Then the engine threw a rod (separate issue) and when the rebuild was installed I checked the pilot bearing in the back of the engine. It was shot. Replaced it prior to mating up the engine/transmission (it came with the new throw out and clutch set) and no more problem. 75K miles on the rebuild and has not popped out once. Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 AM

OH MAN... That sounds like my luck. My forks had a 8th of an inch deep wear marks rt on the ends, and the bushings just under the shifter are gone so its not A total bust if its not the problem.I'll narrow it down and fix it myself. To answer your question on the bleeding, I have the tranny that has the slave cylinder inside the bellhouse so Ive put a clear 1/4 inch tube on the end of the valve and in through a hole Made in the lid of a dot 3 brake fluid bottle. This serves two purposes, well three, the obvious is no fluid all over the place & it can go rt back in the reservoir when it gets low from bleeding. What I like is that you can see the air bubbles come through the tube. You definitely want to have someone help.

Quick Reply: first & third gear. AAAAARRRRGH!!!