Topic Sponsor

Differential swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differential swap

Hey folks, new to the forums! I have a question, I have a 1989 f150, RWD, 3 speed auto OD tranny. 3:55 ratio on an #88 non-LS I'm looking to upgrade to a limited slip. I live up north in alberta, and I've got a good set of tires on there, but the open diff is as good as a 1whel drive lol. Has anyone done something like this?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Your best bet would be to find a complete rear axle with the limited slip and gear ratio you desire, then that way you do not have to set up your gears again when switching carriers. That's what I ended up doing on my 94 a couple of years ago and it only ended up costing me about $150 for the axle and $40 for new u bolts. It's also an excellent time to address your rear brakes if that has not been done in awhile.

Otherwise, you are looking at $250-ish for a ford racing limited slip carrier, plus bearings, install, etc. I am doing a gear change in my truck from 3.55 to 4.10 right now, and I have already spent $250 on carrier, $150 on ring and pinion, and $125 on a quality bearing and seal kit. Professional install costs upwards of $500.

They didn't make many factory rear ends with 4.10 gears on these F150's otherwise I would have taken my own advice in the first paragraph.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Your best bet would be to find a complete rear axle with the limited slip and gear ratio you desire, then that way you do not have to set up your gears again when switching carriers. That's what I ended up doing on my 94 a couple of years ago and it only ended up costing me about $150 for the axle and $40 for new u bolts. It's also an excellent time to address your rear brakes if that has not been done in awhile.

Otherwise, you are looking at $250-ish for a ford racing limited slip carrier, plus bearings, install, etc. I am doing a gear change in my truck from 3.55 to 4.10 right now, and I have already spent $250 on carrier, $150 on ring and pinion, and $125 on a quality bearing and seal kit. Professional install costs upwards of $500.

They didn't make many factory rear ends with 4.10 gears on these F150's otherwise I would have taken my own advice in the first paragraph.
thanks fir the advice! I appreciate it tons! I going to go looking at a pick and pull and see what's out there, with winter coming on I want to be better equipped.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth

thanks fir the advice! I appreciate it tons! I going to go looking at a pick and pull and see what's out there, with winter coming on I want to be better equipped.