Topic Sponsor

cranking but no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranking but no start

my 1994 f150 will not start out of the blue it will crank but wont start even the tach shows a little RPM but no start it is a 5.8l and it has 127000 miles any help would be appreciated. i haven't had time to check anything extensively yet.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a lot to go by from your post, but fuel, air and spark are the things you need and it would seem you are lacking at least one of them.

Of the three I would guess that the mostly one to just quit on you would be the fuel. Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on?
You could pull a spark plug near the front-easy to get to- and see if it is wet.
Even a clogged air filter should give you a start if it was just running.
Maybe the pcm stopped working, some of the trucks around that year group, or maybe it was late 90's, were know to have window leaks that would drip on the pcm. Your computer could be wet and rusted and bad now. I had one that was getting wet (it was a '97) and made it run very poorly (among a few other crazy things like wipers running, lights flashing and so on) until it dried out and then did ok. I was lucky that the pcm was not ruined and fixed the leak and all was good after.

Sorry, probably not much help, but maybe it will give you some ideas to look for.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Frankenstein F150
Not a lot to go by from your post, but fuel, air and spark are the things you need and it would seem you are lacking at least one of them.

Of the three I would guess that the mostly one to just quit on you would be the fuel. Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on?
You could pull a spark plug near the front-easy to get to- and see if it is wet.
Even a clogged air filter should give you a start if it was just running.
Maybe the pcm stopped working, some of the trucks around that year group, or maybe it was late 90's, were know to have window leaks that would drip on the pcm. Your computer could be wet and rusted and bad now. I had one that was getting wet (it was a '97) and made it run very poorly (among a few other crazy things like wipers running, lights flashing and so on) until it dried out and then did ok. I was lucky that the pcm was not ruined and fixed the leak and all was good after.

Sorry, probably not much help, but maybe it will give you some ideas to look for.
yes i can hear the fuel pump and i know the tank is full i wanna lean towards the battery because it slows down after a couple seconds
Old 09-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, that's a good bet with that info. I would definitely have it tested or if you have one you can set in from another vehicle to see what it does. I have had bad batteries that will not even allow you to jump start the vehicle because they were done and would take no charge at all- even though the lights would come on and they appeared to have a charge, even show 12v on a meter. That's why I say to switch them to try it.

If you are making the trip to have the battery tested and have the time, you may pull the starter and have it tested also.
The following users liked this post:
Ford1994351w (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

When it's not starting you need to check for spark. The PIP in the distributor is famous for randomly not working just before it fails completely.
You will also want to test fuel pressure with a gauge.
If those things (spark, fuel pressure) are ok it should start within a 1/2 a turn of the engine.
But it also sounds like the battery may be pretty weak - if you live in a cold area, winter is coming, a good battery is never a bad investment. You'll also want to go over all the battery, solenoid and starter connections - including grounds and make sure that they're all shiny clean and tight.
A dirty electrical connection will leave you dead in the water - and probably not in your driveway.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 AM

check for spark.. if you can hear the pump kicking on then it prob a spark issue..
does it start back up after sitting for a while??

take the distrubutor cap off and check for the button spinning..
make yourself a short jumper cable. with 2 clips on either end.. about a foot long..
you can pull the top connector off the starter solenoid and connect the jumper to that. then connect the other end to the battery. thus will make the engine turn over.
if you do this while the key is in the off spot. then it will not start. it will just turn.

anyways. this will tell you if you might have a cam shaft or distributor gear issue.
once you know that the button is turning. hook up a spark tester to a spark plug and check for spark.

if it doesnt have any spark. then its either the coil, icm, or pip module.
if you read up a few posts. i just had this same issue and i explained how i figured out which it was.. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: cranking but no start