Topic Sponsor

4R70W OD Light+Downshift

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4R70W OD Light+Downshift

Good morning, I'm hoping someone might have some input on my current situation. I've looked around but haven't really found a similar situation in other posts. My transmission has always had a firm 1-2 shift & downshift from OD since I've had it about 6 years. It's not as noticeable as a passenger (maybe it's the cushion in the seat &#128516 but I'm pretty sure it's still there. It isn't super hard shifting and somedays it's better than others (throttle+angle of the road can sometimes affect this). One other symptom i have is that that there is a tough bang/thud/twist when it's shifted from park-reverse but no other way. It feels like the trans is "dropping" into reverse like if you were parked on a really steep decline. Research says it could be the driveline slip yoke, I've used the Motorcraft blue grease but it really didn't make a huge difference if any. The OD light is more recently now starting to flash intermittently but it shifts fine/the same as it always has. I confirmed the fluid is within range and fairly red. Fluid+filter changed about 25k ago. Thank you, any thoughts are appreciated
Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

the light flashing is telling you there is a trouble code stored
Old 06-05-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Click these, read the captions, and the DTCs:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

But the harshness during the downshift is more likely a mechanical problem:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)