Topic Sponsor

4.9l i6

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9l i6

Hey yall, new member here. So, I've decided I'd like a little bit more power out of the old girl. Shes a '94 F150 with the 4.9 mud/crawling truck and winter driver. Getting a new fuel tank and pump, radiator, water pump, injectors, plugs, wires, the works. Shes getting a full tune up for now, so that she will run through the winter, and then come next spring I'm going to be tearing her down and building her up. I'm thinking new high flow head, bigger injectors, ceramic coated headers, new starter while I'm replacing the headers, new motor mounts, going from the 3.08:1 gears in the axles to 4.10:1 ratios, she doesn't like turning 33's as she sits and possibly some other things I think I should get while I'm at it. I have quite a few questions, and I'm looking for input and opinions from all of you. First, on the motor mounts, is anyone running solid motor mounts in the 300's? If not, what do you suggest? Also, what brands do you suggest going with for the injectors, head, blah blah blah. I've been looking at summit racing for most of my stuff, and I know that you get what you pay for, just didn't know if you guys had other opinions. Also, is there anything not on my list that you think I should include? Not looking to make a stupid amount of power, but a little bit more at the wheels is always a bonus. I've got time, I can save up for the priceyer objects, so I'm not exactly worried about that part, just wanting good quality reliable products. Also, if there is anyone you can think of that has done something like this, please don't be afraid to have them email me, or email me yourself if you've done it, at doublbarrel727@yahoo.com. I appreciate all the responses in advance, and look forward to hearing from you guys! Thanks!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend looking at fordsix they have answers to your questions, I'd suggest a free flowing exhaust it helps keep your motor from choking out at higher rpms, and if you have it apart clean up the ports a little. The people on fordsix have created a new cylinder head that flows better i'd suggest waiting for their price to see if you want those.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

It's the smallest, weakest engine available, and it was originally built as a stationary agricultural equipment engine. Trying to get more power from it is like blood from a stone. If you really think you need "a bit more power", swap to a more-powerful engine.

But mine has over 850Kmi on it without a rebuild, and it will push my 3-ton Bronco (the engine's 3rd chassis) up to a 3-digit speeding ticket. All I do is maintain it with top-quality parts & proper techniques.