Topic Sponsor

1995 i6

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1995 i6

Hey their, haven't posted in a while. So I have a 1995 single cab inline six give speed, bought her about 3 weeks ago. I'm a contracter so in the two weeks I drove her I nearly ran 2000 miles. Woah am I amazed such a strong truck and very reliable.

So here's the problem, coming back from work last Friday the truck lost a lot of power. So much I had to downshift to second gear. She wouldn't go passed 35 mph. So I drove 30 miles home and no overheating just the muffler sound changed. Next I had a "mechanic" check her out. He grabbed a 9/16 and moved the distributer cap a bit and bamn she ran perfect! Ok now he advised a complete tuneup which we did do (oil, filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, and even gas filter)

Drove her the next two days perfectly fine, them the same thing happened. Driving back home from work she lost all her power, so obviously the problem happens when the engine is in high temp.

So I get home truck smells like burned oil and the headers are glowing red??? I figured it was the cat converter the one close to the 02 senser. So I said he'll with it and sliced it with my sawzall. Comes to see that the cat converter is perfect it really looks new.

Any ideas? Should be something small because she ran very we'll before.

Thank you guys in advance
Old 09-02-2014, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE="eddie310;3681546"]Hey their, haven't posted in a while. So I have a 1995 single cab inline six give speed, bought her about 3 weeks ago. I'm a contracter so in the two weeks I drove her I nearly ran 2000 miles. Woah am I amazed such a strong truck and very reliable. So here's the problem, coming back from work last Friday the truck lost a lot of power. So much I had to downshift to second gear. She wouldn't go passed 35 mph. So I drove 30 miles home and no overheating just the muffler sound changed. Next I had a "mechanic" check her out. He grabbed a 9/16 and moved the distributer cap a bit and bamn she ran perfect! Ok now he advised a complete tuneup which we did do (oil, filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, and even gas filter) Drove her the next two days perfectly fine, them the same thing happened. Driving back home from work she lost all her power, so obviously the problem happens when the engine is in high temp. So I get home truck smells like burned oil and the headers are glowing red??? I figured it was the cat converter the one close to the 02 senser. So I said he'll with it and sliced it with my sawzall. Comes to see that the cat converter is perfect it really looks new. Any ideas? Should be something small because she ran very we'll before. Thank you guys in advance
Attached Thumbnails 1995 i6-image-3996689136.jpg   1995 i6-image-1371790127.jpg   1995 i6-image-735214866.jpg   1995 i6-image-4020251691.jpg  
Old 09-09-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant temp sensor? Could cause a rich condition if it fails. Sounds like there is fuel burning in the manifold, causing the glow. Located on a tube coming out of the tstat housing. Easy access, not much $$. Mine would barely restart after refueling, stumble, etc. Read your codes to verify.

Quick Reply: 1995 i6