Topic Sponsor

1993 Mild Engine Upgrades

Old 08-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Gearjammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Mild Engine Upgrades

Have a few questions n looking for some help on the 1993 F150's 302. Thing is I'm getting a new engine installed into my truck. Jaspers class 1 series long block - has mild cam shaft for 10% more power. Looking to have some fun and bring it back to looking snd sounding respectable for daily driving. Throwing is a new OEM torque convertor too - should I stay stock t/c or go slightly bigger? If so which would y'all say? I do haul and tow trailers from time to time. Would stock be enough? Going to install new OEM injectors too.

When I get it home this is when I will start having my fun. I really don't want to mod or build things nymore just I'm st the point of no money for new truck. Will do body and slight suspension when I get the engine to where I want it...I do hope I'm not fooling myself and get in it where I'm planning on buying s supercharger. Though most likely.....

First what size if the OEM throttle body on the 1993 F150's 302? I know its s twin throttle body and that's it. Looking to swap this out with BBK and a spacer.

KN CAI sounds like a good match up for the BBK throttle body.

Pullies, will these work for the truck engine in producing more horse and torque as they do for the engine in the Mustang?

Exhaust. Been looking for a long time for a cat back and found a few. I do know that just the cat back is for sound tone and loudness. This being said, going for true dual exhaust seems to be expensive. Would I be right in saying this? I have no tube bender so with the long tube headers into make shift pipes n some cats then into mufflers. To be done st some performance or muffler shop.
Would going short tubes, with /market high flow mid pipe, into single side exhaust be better? This I know I can do myself to top it off

Distributor cap upgrade, is this really important for the 302s?

I will be getting this on the dyno before I start so would s chip be good to install? Not to much into 302 fuel injected computer engines.

If others have other things they would like to include for mild engine upgrades please post, thank you. Like I mentioned before the 302 fuel injected engines I know little of.

Last edited by TorqueO; 08-09-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Gearjammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok is there a real F150 site that will help out on the net? Is there a web site just for 1990s F150? Seems everyone here is up into their newer and new tricks. Just like the last F150 site.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You should take a look at this thread. And maybe also this thread.

What were you thinking for pullies? Also you don't produce more power, you just lose less. Also if you tow, you might want to look into overdriven waterpumps, not under. The other popular thing for reducing loss is the E-fan but again, if you tow, you need to be pretty picky about what kind of fans you use, the stock mech fan has a ton of static pressure, which is what you want for forcing air through your rad/trans cooler.

I'd be careful about making big changes to exhaust without looking into what needs to be in place for oxygen sensors to work. Afaik, there are a few different configurations, and if your oxy sensor is in the y pipe or something, true duals might be out without making other (wiring, ecu) big changes.

As far as tuning is concerned, you'd have to get the part number off your current ecu and do a ****ton of research on what would work best with your ecu, some don't have the required ports (j3?) for tuning. What kind of trans (electronically controlled?) are you planning to use as that might influence which ecu you can use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 Mild Engine Upgrades