Topic Sponsor

Rear rotors and axel issues???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear rotors and axel issues???

I have for sometime now been trying to chase down and locate a clanking noise coming from underneath my 1995 Ford F-150 XLT 302/5.0 truck every time I hit a crack in the road or drive over a pebble it sounds like something is about to fall off or is extremely loose it sounds similar to what a loose wheel center cap would sound like if it were loose (but mine are not) so in the process of investigating I came across a few items that lead me to concern and was wondering if my concerns were wasted and this are normal issues. The first is the lug bolt holes in brake drums in relation to actual lug bolts and second is rear axle play I took some videos of my concerns along with commentary but found out they are to big to attach so I had to cut them up but you should be able see the concerns I'm having and was just seeing if this is something normal or what so please check out my attachments and give me some feedback it would be greatly appreciated oh and by the way both drums are new(they're Durajunk but new) and it has new rear bearings and seals on both rear axles. Oh! And it's 2wd has 8.8inch integral carrier rear drive axles. Thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

the first segment shows the looseness of the drum on the shoes....ideally it should be tighter and teh automatic adjusters should be making that much tighter. For some reason the adjusters do not seem to be working as they should.

I would identify that first.

You have drums and shoes on the rear, not rotors. Two different things.

As to the axle play, it appears on these trucks, but not as much as you are seeing there. Did you replace the rear bearings and where were they - assume axle bearings at the brake plates? Or were they "done" by a shop or previous owner.

Again I would get the specs from All Data or Shopkey and investigate. That will require taking the rear apart.

bests