Topic Sponsor

Lowering Shackles Installed Incorrectly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lowering Shackles Installed Incorrectly?

Howdy,

I just had a pair of lowering shackles installed on my truck when it was being restored. Now the truck is in the shop getting some other work done and this shop says the lowering shackles, as installed, will cause problems as it will hit other parts of the truck as the suspension moves, as the top of the shackle is too close to the bed.

I don't know if it matters, but this truck is a long bed, and I noticed on the rough country website, their shackles don't fit on long wheel base models. (http://www.roughcountry.com/lowering...es-rc0501.html). I didn't buy the rough country ones though, just the got some off ebay.

Can you tell from this picture if there is anything wrong with how they are put in?

Last edited by cyearns; 01-26-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

It's very common for drop shackles to come very very close to the bed. Normally there is a pinch weld right above the shackle that needs to be bent and or cut off. Theres no way around it.

Personally, I would have installed them 180* from how they are now(Flat plate connecting to both sides would be on the top side) but honestly have seen them installed both ways.

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 01-26-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:36 PM

Thanks Wayne. While we are on the topic of lowering shackles, I see some folk recommend a shim under the spring and above the axel to keep the drive shaft in alignment with the differential. Thoughts on that?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Yes I always install shims when doing shackles. Some don't and get away with it but some have issues. Out of the dozen or so I have installed I always done shims and never had vibration issues.

Rule of thumb is 1* for every inch.

Wayne
Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM

So where should I get those from? I looked around a couple places and didn't see them anywhere
Old 01-26-2015, 03:32 PM

The shop said the shackle is actually sitting flush on the bed. I will have to get pictures when I pick it up this afternoon.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Oooo a Custom Title.

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

2" drop will hit the bed. Ask me how I know...
Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 PM

Yea, it's flush against the bed. Should I go with different shackles, or back to stock?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Longbox and shortbox have the exact same suspension.
If you're happy with the way the truck sits, just hammer the bed a little to get it out of the way.
Or drop to the lower bolt holes and cut off the excess (but then you'll probably sit lower than you want and have to put spacers under the springs).
If you have a box liner, you won't even see the little dents, if you don't... well, what's your priority - leaving your truck sitting good and having a couple dents in the box floor, or preserving the pristine condition of the box floor and fighting to get the truck back to where you want it height wise ? Only you can answer that one.
And Yes I think those brackets are upside down, they will work either way but the way they are will catch all the crap so they rust easier.
I had a guy show up here one day, his shackles were rusted right out completely. The truck was actually being supported at the back by the springs resting against the bottom of the box. He didn't even notice - but it must have been noisy as anything !
Old 01-26-2015, 07:52 PM

The other problem with these shackles is that they rub on the truck fender support (the thin rod that acts as a corner brace for the bottom edge of the bed. I'd be worried that it would cause the bed to flex and possibly mess up the paint.

Ultimately I would like to leave the truck at the height that it is, but without causing any damage to the truck. I do have an OEM bed liner, so I wouldn't be too worried about any bumps in the bed, I just don't want to listen to them rub either.

Quick Reply: Lowering Shackles Installed Incorrectly?