Topic Sponsor

How do I bleed my front brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How do I bleed my front brakes?

I know the "old" 2-person method of having someone pump and hold the brake pedal down while I crack the bleeder open. But, I'm thinking of buying or building a pressure bleeder so I can do the bleeding alone. I'm replacing front calipers and brake hoses. My 92 F150 has some kind of rear ABS module or something under the front of the truck. The question is...once I bleed the front brake lines and calipers, will I need to bleed the rears as well because of the ABS thing under there?
Old 04-14-2017, 02:21 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

You can bleed alone with just a piece of hose and brake fluid....put a 2-3 ft piece of clear hose on the bleeder. Make sure it is snug, so air doesnt leak in. Put the other end in a container with brake fluid in it. I use a cheap bottle of brake fluid and drill a hole in the cap. Fill master cylinder, open bleeder, pump pedal a few times, then go look at the hose. It should have solid fluid and no by bubbles. If you see bubbles, pump some more. Close valve when hose has no bubbles. Repeat on other side.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:29 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

You need to bleed the farest away from the master cylinder first then work your way closer.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 AM

I hate replacing rear brakes, so just had my local guy replace my rear shoes, drums, and wheel cylinders. And of course he bled the rears. My question is, if I replace my front brake lines and calipers and bleed the front, I shouldn't have to rebleed the rears, right?

Last edited by Kymasabe; 04-14-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

It should be fine. If it were me I would do it anyways because the wheel cylinders are brand new and you know that the bleeders will be easy to crack open.

If you choose not to bleed the rears, do the front passenger side first, then the drivers.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymasabe
I hate replacing rear brakes, so just had my local guy replace my rear shoes, drums, and wheel cylinders. And of course he bled the tears. My question is, if I replace my front brake lines and calipers and bleed the front, I shouldn't have to rebleed the rears, right?

IMO... Yes
Old 04-21-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by 77Ranger460
You can bleed alone with just a piece of hose and brake fluid....put a 2-3 ft piece of clear hose on the bleeder. Make sure it is snug, so air doesnt leak in. Put the other end in a container with brake fluid in it. I use a cheap bottle of brake fluid and drill a hole in the cap. Fill master cylinder, open bleeder, pump pedal a few times, then go look at the hose. It should have solid fluid and no by bubbles. If you see bubbles, pump some more. Close valve when hose has no bubbles. Repeat on other side.
Make sure the hose loops up over something and then down to the bottle. I use a water bottle with a hose size hole drilled in the cap.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Make sure the hose loops up over something and then down to the bottle. I use a water bottle with a hose size hole drilled in the cap.
And...I think the key is having the end of the hose submerged in brake fluid.
Well, I ordered a Motive pressure bleeder and an adapter for Ford three prong master cyl cap. So, should be a breeze to bleed.