Topic Sponsor

Front brakes dragging

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Front brakes dragging

95 4.9 e4od 133,000 miles.

Calipers, pads and flex hoses (Rock auto) less than a year ago. New brake fluid, all 4 corners bled. Front end up on jack stands. Wheels off. Hubs (rotors) don't spin freely. Removed calipers. Guide pins with the rubber boots move back and forth freely, bolts not rusted or corroded and lubed. Clean and lubed where pads are set in the anti-rattle clips.

With calipers off both front wheels turn freely. Calipers on= a lot of drag.

When I cracked the bleeders open it did not free things up, still a lot of drag, both front wheels. I pushed the pistons back in the calipers with a c-clamp, remounted the calipers and both spun freely. Then applied the brakes, let off then checked for drag. The drag was back.

I'm thinking it's a bad master cylinder. Sound right to you guys?
Attached Thumbnails Front brakes dragging-img_0210.jpg   Front brakes dragging-img_0209.jpg  
Old 06-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

I would think the master cylinder also.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:03 PM

If it is the master cylinder not allowing the front brakes to completely release wouldn't the rears be dragging too?

Haven't checked yet but will soon. Just wanted to hear what you all think.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:40 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

First I would have to ask what makes you think you have excessive drag?

Usually when you apply the brakes on a disc brake setup you will have some drag for a while. If opening the bleeders doesn't relieve the drag, I doubt if your master cylinder is at fault.

If you do have excess drag things would likely get mighty hot up there. Keep us posted.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:28 AM

I don't think, I know. Started looking around after my last fill-up. My perfectly tuned old beater, that always gets 18 around town, showed 11 mpg.

I know there is some drag but this is excessive. I'm not new at this. Although I am not sure why they didn't release when the bleeders were cracked open.

Will order a master and wheel bearings since I'm in there. I'll report back. Thanks for the replies.