Topic Sponsor

Anyone done this yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone done this yet?

Hey guys so I have a 92 f150 2wd with the good ol 5 litre. I like the truck but been thinking of upgrading the rear brakes to disc. One idea i had was finding a rear axle from a 99-02..has anyone done this? Or would i be better off finding some sort of kit? Thanks in advance for any and all input
Old 03-28-2018, 08:46 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by ShouldaHadaV8
Hey guys so I have a 92 f150 2wd with the good ol 5 litre. I like the truck but been thinking of upgrading the rear brakes to disc. One idea i had was finding a rear axle from a 99-02..has anyone done this? Or would i be better off finding some sort of kit? Thanks in advance for any and all input
It's not a bolt in swap. Jeff's Bronco graveyard sells a kit to convert to disc brakes, but in my humble opinion, it is not worth it. Spend $200 to get new drums, springs, shoes, and wheel cylinders, rebuild them and get them properly adjusted, and they perform great.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

I seriously considered that swap, but as BLDT said it is hardly bolt in. The lug pattern changed in 01, so it narrows the field a bit. There is supposed to be an E150 that is a bolt in, but not sure what year(s), the Vans kept the old school bolt pattern through 06.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The lug pattern changed in '97, as did the shock & spring perches, and the e-brake cables. So not only is it NOT a bolt-in; you'd have different lug patterns.

The '04-up E150 rear axle isn't a bolt-in either, but it's closer. I've found one locally, but I haven't bought it yet. I plan to cut the spring/shock perches off, weld the right ones on in the right places for my truck, have it regeared for my ratio, bolt it in, and then figure out the e-brake connection. Look at this & the NEXT:

(phone app link)

I don't like the aftermarket kits because I don't want to be dependent on them for parts, and many say to buy your own pads & rotors, so they're incomplete. For that much hassle, I'd just fab my own kit. But I prefer to use Ford parts, which are available at JYs & parts stores, which is why I'm planning to use the E150 axle.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
It's not a bolt in swap. Jeff's Bronco graveyard sells a kit to convert to disc brakes, but in my humble opinion, it is not worth it. Spend $200 to get new drums, springs, shoes, and wheel cylinders, rebuild them and get them properly adjusted, and they perform great.
Yea you make a good point

Quick Reply: Anyone done this yet?