Topic Sponsor

96 F150 ABS and brake light on

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 96 F150 ABS and brake light on

Hello all,
96 F150, 5.0/auto, 4x4. 150K miles. Front and rear brake pads/shoes good. Master cyl replaced about a year ago. A few days ago, the ABS and brake warning light stays on. Parking brake not on. Occasionally you can turn the key "on" and the brake light will be off for a moment, with no ABS light and then it will come on, then ABS will come on. Sometimes, both come on quickly after starting. Fluid level is good, and bled system. Brakes function fine.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by artsamm; 10-22-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:03 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

You can pull the ABS codes to pinpoint the problem. Both lights come on for mainly 2 reasons, one is if the brake fluid is low or the brake level switch is broken and two is if there is a short to the ABS valve under the truck.

To pull the codes you need to have the key ON and find the ABS diagnostic wire under the dash on the passenger side. Should be an orange and black wire and ground it to the body. The ABS light will begin to flash giving you the code.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have a look at that, thanks!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sylver91
You can pull the ABS codes to pinpoint the problem. Both lights come on for mainly 2 reasons, one is if the brake fluid is low or the brake level switch is broken and two is if there is a short to the ABS valve under the truck.

To pull the codes you need to have the key ON and find the ABS diagnostic wire under the dash on the passenger side. Should be an orange and black wire and ground it to the body. The ABS light will begin to flash giving you the code.
Where is the valve?? My ABS light came on, and I've been trying to find this valve. All I can find are the sensor in the pumpkin, My Haynes says on the Drivers side, right in front of the crossmember (transmission I'm assuming?) and I cant find anything that looks like a valve. Only thing I can find is near the fuel filter and it's about an inch long and 1/2 in diameter where the brake line goes from the master cylinder to the rear of the truck. Can't seem to spot anything that looks like a valve.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

On the inside of the frame, drivers side towards the engine you will see a valve assembly with brake lines and a wiring harness to it.
Attached Thumbnails 96 F150 ABS and brake light on-screenshot234.jpg  

Quick Reply: 96 F150 ABS and brake light on