Topic Sponsor

2wd Rear Leaf Spring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Newbie Lightning Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2wd Rear Leaf Spring Issues

I just picked up a 93 SWB 2wd f150 last week. This truck is in super shape with only 130,000 original miles. Of course it has the "rake" to it so I decided to install a set of 2" rear lowering shackles to level the truck.
I read the instructions, looked up a little information on the web and went to work. I have lowered a couple dozen GM mini trucks in the early 90's but never shackled a ford.
I took every precaution and had the frame on jack stands. With the floor jack taking tension off the rear axle I started disassembly like in the instructions. I took out the lower bolt, then got the top bolt out of the factory shackle (over the rear fuel tank. Now the leaf spring is crammed up against the bed with no signs of it coming down. I have tried everything except start pulling u-bolts and completely disassemble the rear suspension. Where did I go wrong and how in the world do I get this thing down. I jack it up, it just rubs on the bottom of the bed, I let the jack down and it rubs back the opposite direction, never lowering towards the perch.
Talked to a buddy of mine and he mentioned something about loosening up the u-bolts and the front bolt on the leaf spring (but that is trouble shooting over the phone). The driver's side is still up (thank goodness I didnt pull that bolt out, but it is only half way in the stock shackle and won't line up). I had that "How hard can this be?" mentality and it backfired. So basically the right rear shackle is not in the perch and is rested up against the bed. The truck is back on the ground sitting in the garage. thank you guys for any advise.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Are you jacking it by the frame or the diff ?
If you jack the frame the spring should drop.
If that doesn't work :
Loosening u-bolts won't help. Loosening the front bolt should, if the bolt isn't frozen (rust).
Old 05-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Newbie Lightning Owner

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Are you jacking it by the frame or the diff ?
If you jack the frame the spring should drop.
If that doesn't work :
Loosening u-bolts won't help. Loosening the front bolt should, if the bolt isn't frozen (rust).
Thank you very much for the advise. I will definitely try that.
When I jacked up the truck I had the stands just in front of the leaf springs on the frame and I had the jack under the pumpkin
The following users liked this post:
mdomicolo (07-25-2020)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:20 PM
Newbie Lightning Owner

Thanks again for the help. Did exactly like Chris_1 said and with a little pull down force I was able to seat the shackle in the perch.
The following users liked this post:
mdomicolo (07-25-2020)

Quick Reply: 2wd Rear Leaf Spring Issues