Topic Sponsor

1990 F150 XLT 4x4, death wobble at 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 F150 XLT 4x4, death wobble at 60mph

Hey guys I got a problem I need help diagnosing.
My truck has had this problem since I've gotten it and I'm looking at someone shooting me into the right direction. I get a death wobble at 60mph on 33in tires. The tires are getting an unusual wear on the outside of the tread as well on the passenger side, I rotated the tire to prevent more wear to keep it drivable. I've replaced wheel bearings that were destroyed on both sides of the front, I've replaced U Joints that had no bearings in them on the drive shaft, I'm thinking it could be tie rod but Im not sure at this point. If I go faster that 60mph the wobble goes away and 40 to 60 it's a light wobble that is tolerable. Right at 60 though it just hops like crazy. Can anyone help out on what's going on? It's definitely in the front end.

Front of the truck for tire angle view

Passenger side tie rod end

Old passenger side tire, which is now on the driver side.

Driver side tie rod end

Center link for tie rods, oil on them from the motor.

Last edited by AllenSokos; 07-12-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Pressure-wash the front end, then take it to an alignment shop you trust for diagnosis. But don't be surprised if they say the tires are causing it, due to damage from driving so long with the previous problems. Also: don't be surprised if they're no more familiar with the TTB than you are, and either say they can't figure it out, or they shotgun the estimate with every possible replacement part. If they do that, ask them to show you what's wrong with each part.

Quick Reply: 1990 F150 XLT 4x4, death wobble at 60mph