Topic Sponsor

Upgrading my current engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading my current engine

Right now I have the original 5.0 302 v8 in my old 1979 f150 and it runs great but it does have much power. I don't know much about this stuff but I want to get more power under my hood. Would I be able to get good power out of upgrading my current 302 and if so how, or should I buy a bigger engine like the 351? If I go with a 351 would I need to change anything else in my truck to put it in or would it just be as simple as putting it into place?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Ford junky

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be as simple as a carb rebuild. If you get a complete 351w yes the majority will be bolt and go.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:10 PM
J&G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a couple of quick items to check prior to making a decision like engine upgrade.

Drop the oil pan and check for shaving, or sludge.
Remove the valve covers and check for the same.
Check all the filters oil, gas, air, transmission, these filters should indicate clean (Gunk free) fluids.

If all that looks good you may have a candidate for a rebuild vs. a new or remanufactured engine.
If you have a good machine shop in your area this could be the best way forward.
Crate or remanufactured engines typically run in excess of $2,000.00 where a good machine shop may be well below that figure.

If you change to a larger CID you may still not get the power you’re looking for.
An old 302 is almost impossible to destroy. And the aftermarket has a wealth if quality parts which with the correct combination and an engine rebuild you could get 500 or more HP from that old 302 at the flywheel. Keep in mind that you will lose 50HP between the flywheel and the rear wheels.

The biggest decision is where do you want the truck to end up?
And how deep are your pockets.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my current engine