Topic Sponsor

oil pump stripped

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil pump stripped

HI guys wondering if a new guy could get some advice. I had to replace my oil pan due to rust and I figured while I was in there I would change the oil pump. got the job done drove it home oil pressure is fine but next morning I fire it up and no oil pressure..

so I pull the dizzy and first thing I notice is it feels like the dizzy bottoms out on the oil pump shaft before it is fully seated to the block. so then I decide to pull the pump shaft out from the top and yes I had the clip on the shaft. After some macgyvering I get the shaft out and it looks fine but I notice the hole in the oil pump looks stripped.

I then compared the new shaft to the old and both are the same length. my only guess the socket for the pump drive shaft in the oil pump was less deep than the factory pump causing the shaft to put pressure on the oil pump gear and seize it into the bottom plate of the pump.

HAS anyone else had this problem? I used MELLING-IS68 drive shaft and #DM68 (PMS) oil pump off ebay. IM really bummed I have to do this six hour job over again
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That would be frustrating, especially since the problem arose from trying to be proactive and make things better.
At least you have the opportunity to fix it with a 6 hour job. More of a bummer would be if it wasn't possible to fix it because the motor disintegrated from a lack of oil pressure.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

luckily I had oil pressure my whole drive home it wasn't until the next morning when I went to start it up that I noticed all pressure had gone I let it run a second just thinking maybe the Gage had broke but the second I started to hear the engine clatter I shut it down. I'm guessing the pump seized after it cooled down overnight.

I ordered a new HV pump with shaft from summit and will be using a new pickup this time