Topic Sponsor

New 1993 V8 5.0 owner - what to check with the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1993 V8 5.0 owner - what to check with the engine?

SO I have my Dads 1993 F150 XLT V8 (140k miles) It has all the power options. Engine seems to run fine But, It has been sitting for 2-2.5 years. Only being turned on and let run here and there. As far as the engine, is there anything I should look at as far as a really good check before I want to drive it local regularly. Im a fairly good "mechanic", but couldn't do it for a living.lol I will check all the hoses, air/fuel filter. Should I clean the gas tanks? (has 2). I will be doing a lot to the brakes, rust underneath, exhaust etc. Just looking for engine advice at the moment as that is where I have the least experience. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

First: cleanliness! Wash it thoroughly, a few times, from different angles, using different equipment:

(phone app link)

You can't maintain/repair what you can't see, so get all the mud & grime off of it. Next: COOLANT. Antifreeze ages regardless of engine run-time or miles, so it's certainly overdue. Use only concentrate (not premix) and distilled water (cheap at most grocery stores) as described at the link in this caption:

(phone app link)

Third: get a Haynes manual, and read it cover-to-cover at least once. This caption explains how to get the best one for your truck's year:

(phone app link)

Fourth: catch up ALL the items on the maintenance schedule for its mileage & before. Pouring Berryman's B-12 into the tanks should be enough - gas doesn't usually spoil until ~5 years. Before attempting to change the fuel filter, read this caption:

(phone app link)

The captions in this album explain the brakes:

(phone app link)

And you should put all the truck's details into your signature so we can review them each time we want to reply to you:

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 07-04-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: New 1993 V8 5.0 owner - what to check with the engine?