Topic Sponsor

Knock Senson - 1 pin or 2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Senson - 1 pin or 2?

I'm in the process of rebuilding a blown motor, but the knock sensor was destroyed when the motor was pulled out. Looking at replacements on ebay they're showing two pins, but looking at what's left of the one on the motor looks like just one. Any advice?

Old 02-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Skip it - it doesn't actually help the engine anyway, and the EEC can't tell if it's disconnected/missing/connected & working perfectly.

But if you're determined, just look at the truck wiring - are there 2 wires, or 1? These suggest there are 2:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Old 02-03-2019, 03:01 PM

Received 496 Likes on 430 Posts

It will be known missing should his engine start pinging for some reason.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:20 PM

Unfortunately I have no idea which plug in the engine bay goes to the knock sensor. I didn't pull the motor out, and it's a mess of wires. Once I get the new motor built my next puzzle will be figuring out what plug goes where...
Old 02-03-2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by raski
It will be known missing should his engine start pinging for some reason.
No, it won't. The EEC won't know that it's pinging because the KS won't be there to tell it. And even when it's there, the EEC can't detect the KS.
Originally Posted by AR-Trvlr
Unfortunately I have no idea which plug in the engine bay goes to the knock sensor.
Did you look at the diagrams I posted?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:01 AM

You want the EEC to know its pinging so it will back off the timing if it is pinging, that's why the sensor is there in the first place.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Did you look at the diagrams I posted?
I did. And I agree, based on the diagram, it appears that it should be a 2-pin sensor. Unfortunately, what remains of the old knock sensor appears to have had only a single pin in the center. So my plan is to wait until I install the motor and can figure out the correct plug, and go from there.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by raski
You want the EEC to know its pinging so it will back off the timing if it is pinging, that's why the sensor is there in the first place.
Good theory, but it doesn't actually work that way. Even when these engines were new, they made so much mechanical noise that the hypersensitive KS was constantly signalling the EEC that it was knocking. After this many years, with this many miles, it'll be even worse. So it's just not worth the trouble of repairing such a useless sensor. Have you noticed that Ford deleted that sensor in '96?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Good theory, but it doesn't actually work that way. Even when these engines were new, they made so much mechanical noise that the hypersensitive KS was constantly signalling the EEC that it was knocking. After this many years, with this many miles, it'll be even worse. So it's just not worth the trouble of repairing such a useless sensor. Have you noticed that Ford deleted that sensor in '96?
Perhaps you should head the whole engineering department at Ford. You seem to be smarter than they are by putting unnecessary sensors here and there.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:10 PM

They didn't know it when they designed these early EECs & KSs. But they found out later, which is why they stopped using a KS. I found out from one of them, and I'm passing that info along. It doesn't make me smarter than them - just better-informed than you.

Quick Reply: Knock Senson - 1 pin or 2?