Topic Sponsor

Just another 302 to 351 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just another 302 to 351 swap

I have a 1995 f150 with a worn out MAF 302. Just picked up a 351 from a 92 last night to rebuild and throw in. What all will I need to complete this swap? Thanks in advance guys!
The following users liked this post:
Rupert green (10-10-2020)
Old 11-15-2016, 10:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There are plenty of write ups on here that will give you all the information you will need. Is the 351W complete? The 95 302 will be a roller block, while the 92 351W most likely won't be so you may want to consider if you really want to do this swap or not. I just got done doing a 302 to 351W swap but both motors were roller blocks. Most things will switch over no problem, but there will be a host of little things that you have to be done. For example: The 302 has a whole in the back of the block for a knock sensor while the 351W doesn't, the trans dipstick tube will need to be bent to fit around the head due to a wider block, the egr tube on the 302 screws into the lower intake and the 351W goes into the exhaust manifold, pretty sure y-pipe is different as well.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by forrest411
There are plenty of write ups on here that will give you all the information you will need. Is the 351W complete? The 95 302 will be a roller block, while the 92 351W most likely won't be so you may want to consider if you really want to do this swap or not. I just got done doing a 302 to 351W swap but both motors were roller blocks. Most things will switch over no problem, but there will be a host of little things that you have to be done. For example: The 302 has a whole in the back of the block for a knock sensor while the 351W doesn't, the trans dipstick tube will need to be bent to fit around the head due to a wider block, the egr tube on the 302 screws into the lower intake and the 351W goes into the exhaust manifold, pretty sure y-pipe is different as well.
Thanks for the reply, I've been researching all over and gathering details little by little. The engine is mostly complete, doesn't have any of the accessories but the rest is there. No compression on #5 so it's getting stripped down to the block and built up with an upgraded cam that I saw was recommended. At this point I'll take anything over a gutless 302, and judging by the smile on my face from driving my buddies truck with the 351, I think it's the right route to go!
Old 11-16-2016, 03:32 PM

If you are planning on using a roller cam setup in a non roller block the cam and lifter kit will run you a pretty penny for sure. Personally I wouldn't do the swap if your don't have a 351W roller block. If you do you will end up spending more money on stuff in order to get it to run right than if you just spent the money building up you 302 motor. You can get the same performance out of a 302 as the 351W. The biggest reason I did the swap was because I got the 351W (complete motor with ECU) for a steal and more importantly I was able to sell my 302 long block for a good amount since it was still running.

I would do ALL you researching before you spend time and money in machine work.

Good Luck!
Old 11-16-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by forrest411
If you are planning on using a roller cam setup in a non roller block the cam and lifter kit will run you a pretty penny for sure. Personally I wouldn't do the swap if your don't have a 351W roller block. If you do you will end up spending more money on stuff in order to get it to run right than if you just spent the money building up you 302 motor. You can get the same performance out of a 302 as the 351W. The biggest reason I did the swap was because I got the 351W (complete motor with ECU) for a steal and more importantly I was able to sell my 302 long block for a good amount since it was still running.

I would do ALL you researching before you spend time and money in machine work.

Good Luck!
I'm staying with the flat tappet lifestyle. The engine was free to me so I'm not out a whole lot, but I couldn't use the ecu from the 92 even if I wanted to because it had a different transmission than me. Seems that everyone else just drops it in using the 302 harness and away they went but I guess I'll see what happens in the end.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:55 AM

Update the post once you are done so we know how it went.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Along those same lines, my 302 v-8 in my 95 f-150 flareside only has 92K but like others has no guts. Can I put a big block in my truck and if so (without too much motor mounts etc swapping) what size can or even do I want to put in it? It is my daily driver and sweet ride into retirement so I can drop a dollar or two into it. Just dreaming now so help me see if I really want to do this or if it is my hot-rod-mama ego talking.

Aspire to Inspire before you Expire
Proud Woman Vet Driving