Topic Sponsor

Headers with Smog setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers with Smog setup?

Hey guys sorry if something like this has been posted but I couldn't find it. I'm in the process of swapping a 4.9 to a 351w and noticed one of the manifolds is completely cracked. Thinking it was a good time for an upgrade I grabbed some long tube headers for a great deal only to realize that I wasn't thinking at all and the headers have no provisions for and of the emission garbage. Problem is I'm in Ontario and need to get it to pass in order to get it on the road. I figure for the EGR I'm just going to weld a bung on the #1 tube and run some stainless swadgelock tubing but the smog pump is a different beast.
The way I see it I have 3 options;
1 Eliminate the smog stuff and hope it passes emissions, then likely replace cats frequently (not a great option)
2: weld a bung on the 4 and 8 cylinder tubes and get a half *** smog setup (I don't think that would be super effective because it wont be injecting into the whole bank
3: weld a bung at the collector and hope it's still hot enough to combust. Not sure about that.
I also noticed my 302 that I have laying around has the smog stuff going into the heads directly. I think my heads are already set up for that kind of system so could I rig something up that way?
looking for any input. Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update;
I looked at my heads again, the look like they have the air in head setup there with a block off plate or something that just needs drilled out. Rockauto has the air tube that goes to the head for 45 bucks CAD (so like 3 bucks american... yay exchange rates) so I might just go for it. Worst case scenario I **** a set of E7 heads and I have a spare in the garage already, orrrrr GT40s cuz I love spending money on this pig.

Quick Reply: Headers with Smog setup?