Topic Sponsor

Head removal, 1 or both?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head removal, 1 or both?

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

First let me tell you the situation;
It started off with a simple thermostat housing gasket replacement on my 1990 5.8L Wasn't so simple, it turns out. I busted both bolts trying to remove them, that's a first. Anyway it got worse, once I try'ed to remove the busted studs, I cracked the intake. So, I bought a new Edelbrock Intake off Ebay for $500. Once that came in I started removing the old Intake, and during that process broke the head off the stud, of the intake, in the front drivers side. I have been working for weeks, on and off, trying to remove that stud, which looks simple but, didn't turn out that way. Busted a drill bit, tried stud removal tool..lol,,,will NEVER try a stud removal tool again! I have chipped away all I can and a drill bit won't touch a extractor, just spins. There are no mobile EDM tech's around the Chattanooga, TN area so, looks like I will have to remove that head,,,man I don't want to.

Anyway, the truck was running perfect before I tried to replace the thermostat gasket so, should I remove both heads, get them cleans/inspected, buy two new gaskets and put them back on. Or, just repair the one?

Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:03 PM

BTW... this engine has a rear seal leak as well. Wondering if I should just pull it and repair that as well. Replace the oil pump and go with it or, rebuild it? It has 178,000 on it but, man it was running great! I have been cursed for past transgressions.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

I am sure you will hear a variety of opinions on this but, because your engine was running great before all this bad stuff happened to you, I would only do what you need to do to correct your problems and get it back together. Take your time putting it back together to make sure you don't make any mistakes that will cause you more problems and work in the future. Be real careful to make sure you get that valve timing right before you close everything up and put it back together.
The following users liked this post:
SheepDog (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

With as far as you are going to have to pull down the engine and considering the miles on it already, if, BIG IF you have the cash on hand, Yank that sucker out and go thru it. I say this for a few reasons, #1 if you just redo the top end your going to bring upper pressures back to spec and will likely wear hard on the lower end, spin a rod or crank bearing, the very least it will start smoking due to higher compression on pretty much used up piston rings.

If this truck is going to remain in your stall for any length of time get a short/long block, have the heads worked (no worry with long block) and it will last you many years more.

If you plan to sell, patch it and move on.

Last edited by RLXXI; 03-15-2013 at 04:10 PM.
SheepDog (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Pull both heads and have them worked over, after you get the top end back together go after your oil leak. Soak any and all bolts related to what you're taking off, I use a hammer/punch and try and smack the stuffings out of ever bolt I'm taking off. It helps to shock them loose. Good luck.
SheepDog (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 PM

OK, had a thought this mourning that I wish I would have thought about before...
I decided since I am a trucker, why not call a mobile diesel mechanic, so I did. He gave me a number to a friend so, I called his friend. Three hours later he came over and took a torch to it. He couldn't blow it out with the torch but, it all melted together so, he was able to punch through it. Than drill it out to a 1/4"... Now, this engine is ready to get back to where it was. New Edelbrock Intake.. Will update..
Old 03-20-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

if cash is on hand... rebuild the whole engine...

if not.. rip the heads off and lay new head gaskets down get the stud yanked from the head by a shop..

throw it back together..
SheepDog (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Problem is not the head any longer,,,,it is a fricken waterpump bolt, that broke during removal of old waterpump....grrrrr
Old 03-28-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

I know this doesnt help much but I gotta say..... I've never seen someone break so many bolts on one engine. Righty tighty,, lefty loosey.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Phyer Phyter
I know this doesnt help much but I gotta say..... I've never seen someone break so many bolts on one engine. Righty tighty,, lefty loosey.
Have you ever pulled apart one of these engines with a lot of miles on it?

I have.. It's common for the intake bolts near the water jackets due to corrosion and difference in materials.. Intake=aluminum head=cast iron bolts=steel.. Same with the water pump...
SheepDog (03-29-2013)

Quick Reply: Head removal, 1 or both?