Topic Sponsor

Engine light after new computer

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light after new computer

1993 5. engine..184,000 miles
If the truck sits for over 8 hours it will not start.
I'll spray some ether into the air breather and it will start, on second crank
But the engine light is on.
Engine runs rough
Drive less than a mile and light goes out and truck runs perfect. 16 miles per gal in city
Have Done..
Fuel Pump Relay
Rebuilt ecm/computer..took 4 before I got one to work
Turn ignition sw on you can hear the fuel pump.
....Now once it starts you came stop and go all day long no problem, but let it sit 8 hours + and no start...maybe on the 15 crank it will start, but ether is 2 cranks..
Idea's
Old 06-30-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

What exactly happened to the original EEC? What test did it fail? Did the replacement(s) pass the same test? What was wrong with the relay? Did that replacement pass the same test the original failed? What is the fuel pressure? How long does the fuel pump run when you turn the key to RUN? How many fuel tanks was the truck built with? If 2: do they both still work? Check fuel pressure from each. How long (time/miles) has this problem been present? Did it appear suddenly, or progressively? Have you followed the Ford maintenance schedule? Put all the truck's details into your signature:

(phone app link)
Old 06-30-2018, 03:52 PM

Original problem...Truck could not start..crank 10-15 times no go......could not pull a code.... Dual gas tanks....fuel pressure was dead on spec..can't remember the figure but it was "Perfect"... both tank pressures was on spec....
Now..this AM it started after a squire of ether...but engine light was on...Now some 6 hours later after reading your note...I removed the OB connector from it's case installed the meter...did a KOEO test ..it said could not read data... Disconnected..went into the truck and IT STARTED..no engine light nice and smooth..I shut it down reinstalled the meter and it gave me a KOEO code.....556....???
It's hard to say how long as I had a problem with the gearshift not releasing at the transmission properly and you had to juggle it to get it to catch....
The linkage was changed and all seems OK, then the current problem arose..
Idea's...
Old 07-01-2018, 03:03 PM

In a Ford F-150 1993 issue... code book, it says... Code 556, Thermactor Air System Fault....

A failure in the air/exhaust/Som/Cat Conv system would relate to or NOT relate to starting the Truck with two squirts of ether in the intake filter, then engine starts right up,, but Check Engine light is on", and the idle is rough...but drive it 1/8 mile the light goes out and the engine runs smooth....?? Then run the Truck all day with multi start/stops, some as long as 2 hours..with no starting problem..but wait 8 hours and your back to the ether....

Does not make sense....

Quick Reply: Engine light after new computer