Topic Sponsor

96 5.0l left bank ticking

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 96 5.0l left bank ticking

Put a rebuilt engine in last year and hasn't driven much I used it one weekend to tow a motorcycle and now on the left side I have a tick rather loud when first started and it starts to go away when warming up. I put my hand on the valve cover and I can feel it, I took the valve cover off and checked the rockers and there all tight I even wiggled the push rods to see if there was a stiff one and they seem the same. I then pulled spark plugs and number 5 cylinder the spark plug was all fouled up I put a brand new e3 in and started it with no change. Any ideas where this sound could be coming from I'm at a loss maybe sticky lifter or bent pushrod? Any idea would be great.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like a sticky lifter. The plug is probably fouled because one the valve (probably) exhaust isnt opening or isnt opening enough.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 AM

Is there a way to fix this ?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:43 PM

Update I pulled the valve cover and ran the truck and the first lifter on cylinder 5 if I push down on it the ticking goes away, to me it seems like a weak spring or some carbon maybe on the chamber. I checked the lifters to see if they compressed and they didn't so am I on the right track for this tick or out to lunch? Thanks

Quick Reply: 96 5.0l left bank ticking