Topic Sponsor

1984 5.0 noob got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 5.0 noob got some questions

Hey guys, new to the forum, and also a chevy guy but i like older fords too. So i just picked up an 84 f150 with the 302 5.0 v8. It came with an entire edlebrock top end, heads, intake, valve covers and a holley carb. Now itsometimes floods a little and the trottle sticks a bit. I have a holley shop down the road but i dont wanna get raped on a rebuild. Also problem #2 is nothing on the dash works. Could it be a bad ground or is the cluster toast? This is the oldest vehicle ive ever owned and the only one with a carb other than my mmotorcycle so im not all too familiar with these truck. Seems to shift a little hard too but ill check the fluids in the daylight. Any specific fluid for the tranny or just regular atf? Thanks in advance for all the help
Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

safer to put synthetic atf in it, in case thats what they had before, and a good conditioner. definitely do a rebuild on the carb and be prepared to replace the float in case it's toast, but the sticky throttle and flooding carb could be related, so i would wait to do anything with that until after the rebuild. if you've never done a carb before, be very patient, take pictures, and read every instruction!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 AM

oh the lights on the dash, does the rest of the dash cluster function? if so you may need to get in there and replace the bulb, they run very low volts through the bulb so it lasts a very long time, but it's possible it burnt out, dont forget to check your fuses though
Old 05-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Well the dash backlight is workin but speedo volt oil coolant all thats dead as a doornail i was lookin into maybe it being a fuse cuz the e brake light works but that could be a separate circuit than the cluster so i looked on ebay for a cluster an i think if i need one ill get some mech gauges from the parts store lol. I work with a guy that builds muscle cars so ill have him build it but i dont know what kind of holley it is. I know its a 4 barrel 750 but i have no idea how to tell if its a 4160 or 4150. I think it has to do with vac vs mech accelerator pumps but again idk! Thanks for the help man ill check back later tonigjt and let you know what i fimd out about this dash
Old 05-16-2015, 11:37 AM

Default update

Well ive found out that my truck doesnt shift into fourth/o.d. if it has it, which im pretty dang sure its the ford aod 3speed w/ od. but its got an appointment at the trans shop on wed so ill have all that figured out. Also figured out i have a dual feed 750 holley carb that still doesnt seem right. Ive cleaned the **** out of it and put a new power valve in cuz the old one had a bad diaphragm, but it still stumbles for a second if i put my foot down and some times stalls. Ive messed with the air fuel and timing and got them to where its the best it could possibly be right now but i feel like its a vacuum problem. Now im pretty sure these trucks came stock with normal old ford intakes and ignition systems, but this ones got msd ignition and an edlebrock intake, is there any way this could be an issue? Maybe a bad intake gasket or swap job? Ill try anything right now
Old 05-17-2015, 12:50 AM

certainly sounds like a vacuum problem messing with ur mixture when you open the throttle up

could be a vac leak for sure. i would take a can of carb cleaner and spray around all the connecting points of your carb/intake and intake/heads. if you get a change in idle or you notice the spray being sucked right in then theres your problem.

i've rebuilt the 4.6modular and a 390fe but havent actually torn a 302 apart.. if the underside of the intake is exposed to the inside of the engine then that could be difficult to diagnose if your leak is in there. the 4.6 isn't that way, but the 390 certainly is.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

750 cfm on a 302 ? Little bit of overkill on the carburetion there.
If it stumbles and it's carb related it'll be a choke problem or the accelerator pump isn't pumping. Best guesses, other than the possible vac leaks the other guys mentoined.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
750 cfm on a 302 ? Little bit of overkill on the carburetion there.
If it stumbles and it's carb related it'll be a choke problem or the accelerator pump isn't pumping. Best guesses, other than the possible vac leaks the other guys mentoined.
Your right i pulled it off and took it to my local holley shop and turns out its a 600 and there was two gaskets between the carb and intake so i think theres a problem there and the secondary float and metering block were disgusting and the float valve was stuck so i bought a rebuild kit and im gonna have a buddy do a full rebuild and have a nice new ish ready to rock carb. Other than that im pretty sure my overdrive band is non existent at this point and since its not running anymore i guess the trans shop appointment is gonna have to wait. Thanks for the feedback guys it helps a lot

Quick Reply: 1984 5.0 noob got some questions