Topic Sponsor

Wont start please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont start please help

I got a 1993 F150 4.9 5 speed. The problem I am having is it will not start unless i give it a shot of starting fluid and then it will stay running but runs rough. Once it's hot it will restart. The last time I took it out it ran rough for about a half hour and then it started running perfect. Took it back home and then when it cooled down it goes back to not starting again. I changed the fuel filter and the pump is working good. I changed the cap rotor wires plugs. TPS,Map,Air flow sensors. Also changed the distributor and the coil. Fuel pressure regulator has vacuum and it wasn't wet when i pulled The hose off. The last thing I tried was I cranked the motor over enough that my plugs should have been wet but it wasn't when i pulled one. So it seems like I'm not getting fuel through my injectors when i try to start it but once it starts with starting fluid it stays running. I dont know what else to do. I have a spare engine I could pull the fuel rail and injectors off of and change it but don't want to do that if I'm missing something.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:04 AM

i was having the same issues, i did the same you did, i notice that when the engine got hot, my truck would run really rough, it came to three thing, first EGR, then I moved over to the air flow sensor and what really did the difference was the fuel injectors, but for my case every time I replace something, my truck would run a bit better. I did changed the fuel pressure regulator. TPS sensor. I also cleaned my Air intake manifold and change the gaskets on it. I can tell the big difference on MPG and the smoothness on it too.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:24 AM

Received 492 Likes on 426 Posts

You have done everything but did you actually measure the fuel pressure? .Sounds to me like you have a weak fuel pump. Unless you have done that, you don't know your pump is good. Just hearing it run means nothing. Your specs should be 45-60 psi at idle and a 50-60 psi rest pressure.

Last edited by raski; 02-05-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by raski
You have done everything but did you actually measure the fuel pressure? .Sounds to me like you have a weak fuel pump. Unless you have done that, you don't know your pump is good. Just hearing it run means nothing. Your specs should be 45-60 psi at idle and a 50-60 psi rest pressure.
UPDATE: Installed a new ECM on Saturday. Now the truck works perfectly. Thanks for your replies.

Quick Reply: Wont start please help