Topic Sponsor

Truck needs slave cylinder and clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck needs slave cylinder and clutch?

Im looking to possibly go buy a 1995 f150 4.9 this week and it has 5 speed manual tranny with 115,000 and little to no rust. The owner says that it needs a slave cylinder which I know are internal and the clutch was burnt out because of a new driver and I was just wondering what I'm going to be looking to spend to replace those. Also needs inspected... Ran out last month. If you could help thanks
Old 07-12-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

i know on older model fords the firewall liked to bend, crack and break open when you pressed the clutch pedal. this meant your clutch wouldnt fully engage and cause all sorts of issues. i dont know if it was a known issue on your year, but you might double check that before you start driving around on a new clutch
Old 10-01-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have to worry about any cracks or stress in the firewall with a hydraulic clutch, that's more common with linkage clutch setups. You should be able to get a Zoom clutch kit and new slave cylinder for under $250 and usually $10 to $20 to go ahead and get the flywheel turned at any local machine shop. You can get remanufactured clutch kits but in my experiences it's best to buy the new kit so you don't have to hear loose and rattling pressure plate springs in a month.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

you most certainly do get cracked and broken firewalls on hydraulic clutches. there are fix kits you can order online, or you could easily make your own with some scrap metal. most important thing is you install it on the inside under the dash.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a little late of a reply, but...

Make sure the forks are good on the Mazda 5 Speed when you pull the transmission out. Also check the rubber plugs in the transmission to see if they are leaking, possibly switch them out with some steel plugs.

If you are going to do the clutch, I would spend the extra money and do the slave cylinder. I get it, another $50 or 60 on an old truck but your going to spend 8+ hours dropping and reinstalling the transmission. Do you really want to do it all again in the future if the slave cylinder gives out? Put a new one in.

Quick Reply: Truck needs slave cylinder and clutch?