Topic Sponsor

Not sure what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Fiona obs 94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what to do?

I have a 1994 150 4x4 300efi. I want to get the truck mechanically sound before I start on the cosmetic stuff like interior or body work. The truck runs good but burns a lot of oil when it’s hot or going a long distance (45min drive). I’m not sure if I should try to rebuild it or just get a crate motor. The parts that I know I have to replace are the alternator, power steering pump, the brake booster, windshield wiper motor and the turn signal lever. I’m really liking the xp1 crate motor. PLEASE HELP.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Don't buy any new parts until you KNOW one of the current ones is bad (failed a published test). Buy a Haynes manual...

(phone app link)

...READ IT (cover to cover at least once, so you know what's in it & where to find things), and catch up the maintenance schedule.

(phone app link)

Document ALL the truck's labels, tags, & embossments so you'll still have them even if they get removed or damaged:

(phone app link)

Wash the engine & undercarriage, SEVERAL times:

(phone app link)

If you want to know the engine's condition, do a compression test:

(phone app link)

...and measure manifold vacuum (buy a MityVac and read its manual), and measure oil pressure (using a cheapo ~$10 mechanical gauge temporarily connected under the hood).

Put ALL the truck's details into your signature so we can review them each time we want to reply, without asking or digging back through your older posts:

(phone app link)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks mate

Quick Reply: Not sure what to do?