Topic Sponsor

4.9L starter replacement question

Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4.9L starter replacement question

I'm about to start working on an engine bay cleanup on my 93 F-150. My plans are to hide as much of the vacuum lines and wiring harness as I can and make it look a little more presentable. The biggest eyesore under the hood is the starter solenoid on the passenger fender and the giant mass of wires going to and from it. My question is, can you install a mini high torque starter like the one on my 94 GT and do away with the solenoid? If need be, I can extend part of my wiring harness to meet the needs of doing such a swap. Has anyone ever done this or heard of it being done? Or just know if it will or will not work? In my mind it seems fairly simple but as always I'd like another opinion. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont see why it wouldn't work. Im new to 4.9's but have had many 302 cars and they seem to be wired up pretty much the same.

I work at Napa and just looked it up, a 1995 Mustang GT 5.0 and a 1995 F150 4.9 both accept the same starter. So I guess you could even just use a 5.0 mini starter and it should work just the same as if you were putting it into a mustang.

It looks like nobody has tried it or heard of it being done, but it's a good upgrade for a Ford system that has been used since the 60's, so I'd say give it a shot and report back with how you did it in case others want to do it themselves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.9L starter replacement question