Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

third brake cargo light problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default third brake cargo light problem

I installed LED bulbs in my cargo lights in the third brake light. They work fine but my problem is I starting having an issue with my battery going dead if I didnt drive the truck for a few days. I hooked up a tester and checked to see if I had a draw on the battery and there was a slight one. I just figured it was because of all the extra accessories I've added but the other night when I was leaving my friends house in the dark I noticed the cargo light bulbs were on. Just barely enough to see them. When I unlock and relock the truck with the remote and the lights fade off they go out but if I wait a while they come back on again. My friend who is a ford tech said it could be that the leds draw such little voltage that if there is a power draw to them it may not be enough to trigger the function the truck has to shut it off to avoid battery issues. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any issues when changing to the LED's. My interiors are LED's and they seem fine. Any ideas or help would be great.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitchenboy
I installed LED bulbs in my cargo lights in the third brake light. They work fine but my problem is I starting having an issue with my battery going dead if I didnt drive the truck for a few days. I hooked up a tester and checked to see if I had a draw on the battery and there was a slight one. I just figured it was because of all the extra accessories I've added but the other night when I was leaving my friends house in the dark I noticed the cargo light bulbs were on. Just barely enough to see them. When I unlock and relock the truck with the remote and the lights fade off they go out but if I wait a while they come back on again. My friend who is a ford tech said it could be that the leds draw such little voltage that if there is a power draw to them it may not be enough to trigger the function the truck has to shut it off to avoid battery issues. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any issues when changing to the LED's. My interiors are LED's and they seem fine. Any ideas or help would be great.

Hi I'm new here but I can relate but I am not having this problem. I too have replaced every light on my truck with led's. Inside and out. I know what u mean with the 3rd light being "on" at night. It seems it's barely lit. Anyway, my truck is my weekend vehicle. I have a work truck I drive everyday. So my ford sits for days and sometimes weeks at a time. I have no trouble starting it. I have a '05 xl with hid heads and fogs too! I don't know why you're having this problem. Where did u get your led's?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

your issue may be more battery related.. those LED should not draw enough to kill the battery after a few days. I accidentally left my door not fully closed for 2 days and was still able to start barley and that was with normal light bulbs in the 3rd
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a quick high jack question, I know some F150's have their rear cargo light leak, would swapping lights out ruin the seal on it?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Brycicles
I have a quick high jack question, I know some F150's have their rear cargo light leak, would swapping lights out ruin the seal on it?
No, I've swapped my leds in mine twice, and No leaks! It's just a Poorly designed Gasket as it is! Swapping bulbs Should have No ill effects!
The following users liked this post:
Brycicles (05-08-2014)

Quick Reply: third brake cargo light problem