Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Smoke Tinted Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smoke Tinted Headlights

Hi guys, I just want some input. I am wanting to buy some new headlights and since I have a black truck I have been looking at some smoked headlights. Does anyone have them/ had them? Are they really dim at night?

This is the link that I have been looking at : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FREE-SHIP-200...dadd16&vxp=mtr

They look nice but if you cant see anything at night what's the point.

Thanks
~Jenn
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Hi.

Shipping is almost as much as the dang lights, lol! ( Confusing, that - says "free ship" but then states $60 shipping to Canuckistan....eh? )

Yep they will be dim(mer) - and the stock halogens need all the help they can get. Plus - these are cheap chinglish knockoffs - as such they are prone to leak, fog up and fit poorly. Shoot - check yer local laws - they may even be illegal.

Consider doing this instead: https://www.f150forum.com/f61/fs-200...id-kit-251322/

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 04-05-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

I bought tinted taillights for my sons 96 Ranger from this same seller. Lights were very nice, and I am very hard to please. I did apply silicone to any seam, gap, seal all over the backside as I am aware that 99.99% of all aftermarket lights are prone to leakage. 4 months later, not a single issue. I am watching a set of the black housing headlights from this same seller in my ebay now. My factory ones are scratched and even though I polished them, I am not happy with them.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

These: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291107100542...84.m1423.l2649
Old 04-07-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer86
Hi guys, I just want some input. I am wanting to buy some new headlights and since I have a black truck I have been looking at some smoked headlights. Does anyone have them/ had them? Are they really dim at night?

This is the link that I have been looking at : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FREE-SHIP-200...dadd16&vxp=mtr

They look nice but if you cant see anything at night what's the point.

Thanks
~Jenn
Tinting a light does the same thing that tinting a window does...reduces light transmission. You could get black housings that still have clear lenses; but most likely the light output will still not be up to snuff with the OEM lights. As MGD mentioned, an HID retrofit is a great option for superior lighting performance and complete customization of the lights. Not cheap by any means; but well worth it IMO.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for opinions...
I'm in NYS and want to install a smoked film over my headlights and taillights. I've researched by have not found any laws or guidelines that state whether this is legal or not. Tinted windows are clearly defined but not headlights. If anyone has any experience with tinted headlights please pass it along. I'm trying to decide if I pull the trigger on tinting the fronts & back on my black FX4. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mike11F150
Looking for opinions...
I'm in NYS and want to install a smoked film over my headlights and taillights. I've researched by have not found any laws or guidelines that state whether this is legal or not. Tinted windows are clearly defined but not headlights. If anyone has any experience with tinted headlights please pass it along. I'm trying to decide if I pull the trigger on tinting the fronts & back on my black FX4. Thanks!
I haven't heard of guys putting film tint on headlights/ taillights. I worked in a body shop and we would add 2 drops of black into clear and spray on a couple of coats. Spray can smoke also works if you don't have access to a full paint system. Just spray it on super dry or it will fish eye on you and then you will have to wipe it off and start over.... 5 mins and your done.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I went with a projector, halo, LED headlights that are smoked. They are DOT approved but I don't think the cops will care regardless since its illegal here in Canada. Looks better now I have to spray the front and back chrome bumper black.... to much chrome on it for me.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer86
Thanks for the input guys. I went with a projector, halo, LED headlights that are smoked. They are DOT approved but I don't think the cops will care regardless since its illegal here in Canada. Looks better now I have to spray the front and back chrome bumper black.... to much chrome on it for me.
How are your projectors holding up? What brand did you go with? How is your light output? I'm also looking for a different option than stock or retrofit.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They look good btw!!

Quick Reply: Smoke Tinted Headlights