Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Nevin's Retrofit project

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Nevin's Retrofit project

Well I've officially started my retrofits! I picked up a set of FX take-offs, and I got them disassembled last weekend. My kit from TRS should be in my hands this weekend.

I'm going with 3" FX-R, panamara shrouds, and 50W 5000K bulbs/ballast. No halos. I plan on painting the bucket sterling grey (or grey metallic), and the shrouds gloss black with grey or flat black windows. I will probably tint the orange reflectors, and possibly paint the signal light bucket gloss black. I like the tinted signal light lens but I am not brave enough to try to tint that as it is part of the main headlight lens.

I'm really looking forward to having some decent headlights! I hate the glade candle lights my truck came with!

I will try to take pics of the progress, and I'll post as I go. Wish me luck!
The following users liked this post:
MAH (12-26-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am going to do the same pretty soon. subscribed!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 PM

Not a lot to update yet, but I tinted my reflectors today. After they cure for a day or so I will wet sand and polish to remove the slight orange peel. They turned out okay for someone that doesn't know what they are doing!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Ha, funny story about those reflectors. I placed both of my reflectors on the back of my truck to dry after tinting them, and promptly forgot about them. Then I went out to pick up some lunch, and got home, and noticed they were gone. Stupid Hardcore had to buy a whole new set of headlights to get new reflectors!

Moral of the story: Don't lose those reflectors!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 PM

I will reinstall them as soon as I get them polished up! I really don't want to buy another set of lights!!

My kit has made it to Canada, and I will have it in the next 2-3 days!

And this is the only pic I took during the splitting process. I never bake anything, but I never imagined when I did bake something it would be a headlight!
Attached Thumbnails Nevin's Retrofit project-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Nevint; 12-27-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevint
I will reinstall them as soon as I get them polished up! I really don't want to buy another set of lights!!

My kit has made it to Canada, and I will have it in the next 2-3 days!

And this is the only pic I took during the splitting process. I never bake anything, but I never imagined when I did bake something it would be a headlight!
Just think of them like, Yummy Cookies for your truck, ha ha...
The following users liked this post:
Nevint (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What temp and time did u run in the oven, and what r u gonna reseal them with?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by camper14
What temp and time did u run in the oven, and what r u gonna reseal them with?
I baked them at 245F for 21min. That worked to get them about half apart, then I reheated two more times (245F) for about 5min each time. It took about a half hour of work to get each one apart, and another hour each to get the old sealant out of the housing.

I will reseal them with the supplied butyl tape that comes with the TRS kit.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 PM

Well I received my kit from TRS tonight. Everything looks to be great quality. The only problem were with the shrouds (panamara). One has a small crack which is not going to be a concern. A small amount of crazy glue closed the crack and since I am priming and painting I don't think it will be an issue. The other shroud was actually broken, which is a problem! The way they were packed in the box, if anything was stacked on top of the box the shrouds would be compressed on the sides, which caused the crack and the break. I will phone TRS first thing in the morning to discuss replacement. I also didn't receive a test harness (to power the ballast), which I was expecting.
Attached Thumbnails Nevin's Retrofit project-shroud.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013, 10:44 PM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevint
Well I received my kit from TRS tonight. Everything looks to be great quality. The only problem were with the shrouds (panamara). One has a small crack which is not going to be a concern. A small amount of crazy glue closed the crack and since I am priming and painting I don't think it will be an issue. The other shroud was actually broken, which is a problem! The way they were packed in the box, if anything was stacked on top of the box the shrouds would be compressed on the sides, which caused the crack and the break. I will phone TRS first thing in the morning to discuss replacement. I also didn't receive a test harness (to power the ballast), which I was expecting.
Get them to replace both. I've got the panamara shrouds in my heads they look great our builds are very similar but I opted out to have mine built for me. I'll admit I'm not confident doing this in this type of work myself but enjoy your build thread.

Quick Reply: Nevin's Retrofit project