Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs

Does anybody have the Lightning style headlights with HIDs in them? Im curious how the light pattern is...if there is one. And also, i keep hearing about a cutoff line....is that on the bulb itself or the housing? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM

anyone?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

The cutoff line is made by the housing reflectors. Reflectors inside true Xenon housings are different than regular halogen. The beam pattern tends to ge tighter with true housings. You can somewhat manipulate a non-HID housing to have somewhat of a cutoff but nothing that would compare to a real unit. Traditionally, normal housings have horrible cutoff patterns, if any at all and the glare is usually bad (maybe not to you, but to oncoming traffic). Alot of people claim that the glare is not that bad with thier plug and play kits in normal housings but that is because thier lights are adjusted "properly". By properly, they mean so low that they are usually at the max lower adjustment rendering the periferal lighting non-existant.
Bottom line, to get the best result, buy a cheap set of ebay projectors and retrofit in a set of Valeo projector housings (I can't remember the exact site, google it) and there you can also get a kit of real quality.
I have nothing agains plug and play kits (I have one in my wife's car) but vehicles without projector headlights stock just can not get a result that compares to OEM HID's or even a halogen projector setup with a plug and play kit.
Counter opinions welcome but this is just my .02 with the last 9 vehicles I have owned over the last 7 years, all of wich got some sort of an HID treatment.

Last edited by Lenn; 01-19-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:56 PM

alright...thanks for the input! i dont know whether to get silverstars or save and get the HIDs
Old 01-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LOHfootball53
alright...thanks for the input! i dont know whether to get silverstars or save and get the HIDs
I got an aftermarket set of harley heads and the beam is very tight. The hids are
Only a little bit more than the silverstars. Go hids you won't regret it.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 PM

alright thanks man

Quick Reply: HIDs